• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting speakers

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone have a good idea to replace the stock rear speakers on an xj in the rear. I have 6 1/2 inch replacements but i screwed them in thr fiberglass and they just fell off and cracked it... what is a good way to keep them on without tearin apart my whole tailgate????

I tried to replace my original 5 1/2" with 6 1/2" speakers with out the hassel.

Gave up after a while and took the inside panel off, used a rotozip and made bigger holes and threw in 6x9's. took all of 2 hrs. The speakers come with metal clips that the screws fit into.

f9d6b1db.jpg

Back when I had speakers in my XJ I ran 6x9's the same way XJ91 has his installed. I used them mainly for tailgating and eating lunch on the trail. Is there a reason you need to have a set of speakers mounted in the rear like that, or are you just installing them because you have them? Unless you're using them for "rear fill" to keep your back seat passengers happy, you'd be better off with a good pair of components in the front doors. Your stereo imaging will be much better, and components are almost always better sounding because of the crossover that coaxial/3-way speakers lack.

so random hijack on this one...
has anyone ever done a component install in the rear? I've got a 5 1/4 kappa perfect set up front and wouldn't mind putting the same in the rear, but I've never seen anyone do it. It doesn't seem like it'd be that hard...

that setup looks great in all, but the tailgate rattles like a biatch!!! Initial reason why i took it off in the first place. then i havent put it back on since, but thats becasue i havent found a way to not make it rattle. Anyone have ideas? cuz i dont. i just had the speakers and the people in the back said i have to much bass. Cuz i have to 12's, and no rear speakers. LAter

dellstopjeep said:
that setup looks great in all, but the tailgate rattles like a biatch!!! Initial reason why i took it off in the first place. then i havent put it back on since, but thats becasue i havent found a way to not make it rattle. Anyone have ideas? cuz i dont. i just had the speakers and the people in the back said i have to much bass. Cuz i have to 12's, and no rear speakers. LAter

Just put a layer of dynamat in between the fiberglass hatch and plastic/carpet cover. Shouldn't be that expensive and I've heard nothing but good things.

You could go to a u-pull-it and look for the factory sound bar out of an xj. My '96 has it with stock speakers and they sound great. BTW, do you have any pics of your 12's? I'm putting two 10's in now and I'm wondering how yours turned out.

Happy Jeepin'!
nitrogt101

i've got the same 6x9 setup in my rear hatch as XJ91....and i've got the same rattle that i believe dellstopjeep has....because of the way the factory mounts that rear panel, most of the little snap things that hold it on break when you take the panel off for the first time, at least it did the first time i took it off both my jeeps....
so i've got self tapping screws holding the panel in....but after i upgraded my 6x9s to 225watts....the screws vibrated loose in thier holes....i've got a solution, just haven't gotten around to fixing it....just get screws with deeper threads...*shrugs*

BUT...since this "problem" has aroused, i've added three 12's and a 1400watt amp *grins* heh, makes that rear window flex quite a bit....but i have a new rattle in the rear hatch that you can hear from the outside...it sounds like the licence plate....but turns out, it's the locking mechanism inside the door...all the rods and stuff rattling....
and outside vibration noise from that bass is something that has always been not so appealing to me....i'll get around to messing with it one day...

I have 5 1/4's mounted in the ceiling in a Q-Forms Panel. They sound great and are out the way.

I ahve the additional rattling of other things in my hatch as well. I dont have the pics of the 12's but i will be getting some. I can tell u this tho, becasue of the openness of the xj, there will be more bass then in some cars. Im just runnin a 600 watt amp and i have to turn it down cuz it hurts everyones ears. I just put the speakers in the factory places, screwed them in with selt tapers, altho i cracke the fiberglass a little, but i havent put the rear carpet back on yet. gives me the rugged 4x4 look. :greensmok
its one of those, one a sunny day i will get to it projects. I do want components tho.... the sound isnt perfect i will admit. has anyone seen the custom box q logic makes for the panel on the opposite side of where the spare goes. Its bad ass lookin.

KinesthesiaDrums said:
i've got the same 6x9 setup in my rear hatch as XJ91....and i've got the same rattle that i believe dellstopjeep has....because of the way the factory mounts that rear panel, most of the little snap things that hold it on break when you take the panel off for the first time, at least it did the first time i took it off both my jeeps....
so i've got self tapping screws holding the panel in....but after i upgraded my 6x9s to 225watts....the screws vibrated loose in thier holes....i've got a solution, just haven't gotten around to fixing it....just get screws with deeper threads...*shrugs*

BUT...since this "problem" has aroused, i've added three 12's and a 1400watt amp *grins* heh, makes that rear window flex quite a bit....but i have a new rattle in the rear hatch that you can hear from the outside...it sounds like the licence plate....but turns out, it's the locking mechanism inside the door...all the rods and stuff rattling....
and outside vibration noise from that bass is something that has always been not so appealing to me....i'll get around to messing with it one day...

pics?? :)

Back