• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need rear axle help

rockethound

NAXJA Forum User
Hi!! I’m a New B to the forum, a New B jeep owner, and a New B DIY mechanic. So please be patient with me as I have many questions.

My 91 XJ started making a real bad rough sounding grinding noise from the rear end and the diff housing smoking. I had it towed to a shop and dug into it. At first I thought it was brakes so I removed the wheels and drums and discovered the left axle shaft seal was gone. I removed the diff cover and the oil smelled burnt. I removed the left axle shaft and found that the bearing was fried and there where grooves at the wheel end of the shaft. The right side was fine. I had a pro mechanic walking me through everything and he suggested that the pinion bearing was fried. So I regretfully removed all the spider gears and tried to removed the pinion shaft. Several attempts where made by several people with various sized hammers to get the pinion to budge, but it didn’t The mechanic declared the axle fried and that I should be able to get another one from the junkyard/salvage for around 150 bucks.

Has anyone ever seen the pinion bearings weld to the shaft? If so, is it possible to remove it? Is my axle really fried?
I have also been seeing references to something called "preload" which is apparently very important. What exactly is this? Can a DIY guy do it?

I've been checking around for axles for sale and have found one locally. The only problem is that it came out of a manual, therefore geared at 3.07. i have an AW4 which is geared 3.55. Will the 3.07 work with my stock front end? How hard is it to regear to 3.55?

Another thing is that i don't know if I have a Dana 35c or a Chrysler 8.25. My rig is still in the shop so I can't look at it readily. It seems like a Chrysler, but I’m not sure.

I know it isn't ABS if that helps

Thanks a lot for the kind soul that take the time to answer me.

first congrats on the new jeep.... sounds like you are gonna learn some important stuff right away.... sounds like the axle ran dry, or very low since the seal was bad... you said you had a "pro mechanic" with you so i am assuming you removed the ring gear carrier fromthe housing and the pinion yoke as well.... how easily does the pinion turn by hand? if it turns i wouldnt think the bearing was welded to the shaft.. if the bearing failed it would not turn, or at least turn hard... a qualified mech would have covered this so i cant say what is holding it in.. keep loooking for a replacement axle with the right gears.. regearing will cost a few hundred$$ and any XJ axle with the proper gearing will fit.. a chrysler 8.25 is easily identified by the large flat surface acrosss the botom of the cover mounting surface....

http://www.highriders.ca/documents/axle_spotter_guide.html

this link will help you identify the axle.. hold out to get the right geared axle it wont be hard to find..
mike

sidriptide said:
I just tried this URL and it wouldn't come up. Here's a picture I found on the internet. I think it came from the above website, but I'm not sure. Anyway, it didn't have the 8.25, so I added a picture of one at the end.

axlespotter.jpg

If this is copyrighted material, or if it belongs to you - I apologize and will remove it or give proper attribution (your choice) as soon as I'm notified.

Nice post Red87.
For me, as long as I add "(tanken from ABC, 2004)" on or next to the image use of the image is exceptable. That is just me, and this is not an ethics thread.
However, I am in Texas and there are axles everywhere in Houston, to match or modify. How close are you to Houston?
Cheers.

urbanXJ said:
Nice post Red87.
For me, as long as I add "(tanken from ABC, 2004)" on or next to the image use of the image is exceptable. That is just me, and this is not an ethics thread.
However, I am in Texas and there are axles everywhere in Houston, to match or modify. How close are you to Houston?
Cheers.

I live in Garland so not too terribly far.

rockethound said:
Hi!! I’m a New B to the forum, a New B jeep owner, and a New B DIY mechanic. So please be patient with me as I have many questions.

Another thing is that i don't know if I have a Dana 35c or a Chrysler 8.25. My rig is still in the shop so I can't look at it readily. It seems like a Chrysler, but I’m not sure.

Welcome,
One of the most comprehensive axle writeups I've seen...

http://www.michiganjeepers.com/foru...pe=&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post245161

Too bad you don't live closer since I have two good XJ 3.55 geared rear axles, one from a 91 that is a dana 35 and one from a 93 which is an 8.25 and I would love to get them out of the way. My guess is that you have the 35.
Dave

DaveB said:
Too bad you don't live closer since I have two good XJ 3.55 geared rear axles, one from a 91 that is a dana 35 and one from a 93 which is an 8.25 and I would love to get them out of the way. My guess is that you have the 35.
Dave

would you be willing to ship it if i pay?

Back