• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fast Idle From Shocks?

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed new front shocks on my '92 XJ Limited and when I turned my car on to test them out, the car was idling around 2000 rpms. One of the cables attached to the throttle body seemed a little loose, but i don't really have any idea how this could happen so any help is much appreciated.

How the hell could the shocks effect the idle. Just think about it, it makes no sence at all.

I would put money on ....

When you were mounting the driver side shock, you undid a vacuum line some how. CHECK YOU HOSES.

Dont ask me how i know ok?

MATT

i know it makes no sense, but thats how it happened. I don't think the car just developed the problem from sitting there for an hour while i installed them, and it ran just fine right before i put them in. I'm talking about a total time of 1, maybe 1.5 hours not running.

Scrappy said:
I would put money on ....

When you were mounting the driver side shock, you undid a vacuum line some how. CHECK YOU HOSES.

Dont ask me how i know ok?

MATT
I agree with Matt. As you know (since you just did the installation), the driver's side upper shock mount is difficult to get to without moving and/or disconnecting components. Even if you were careful, I'd suspect a loose/disconnected vacuum line or a loose/disconnected wire. The passenger's side isn't as tight, but there are vacuum lines and wires in that area too.

As far as it making no sense, any time you work under the hood it is easy to discombobulate (that's a technical term) something.

And in fact, I disconnected not one but 2 hoses by accident. When reconnected my engine now runs beautifully, and my new rancho rs5000 shocks feel absolutely heavenly after my dead carquest generic shocks. Thanks everyone for your help!

After I installed a wife, my belly went to pot, and my wallet is always empty.
How the heck can those be related!!? :confused:

"After I installed a wife, my belly went to pot, and my wallet is always empty.
How the heck can those be related!!?"

Don't you remember that old song "Them Bones" ? The alternate lyrics explain it very clearly...

Don't feel bad gd9d1, I foul other stuff up all the time while 'fixin' on mine... At least you were straight up with how you did it. Vacuum lines would have been an early guess from most folks, but your 'clue' with the shox install was a giveaway! I buggered my MAP sensor pipe while bleeding the coolant... took only a few folks answers for me to find & fix it. Hate I drove 100 miles like that @ 10 MPG... :dunno: :twak:

I wonder what would of have happened if he had taken it to a shop to have new shocks put on, then taken it back and complained about an idiling problem. They would of have thought he was smoking something...

When installing the shock portion of my RE 3" lift I accidentally knocked a wire off that silly white porcelin thing on the drivers side fender wall. She'd start but immediately die. Brand new lift and a Jeep that wouldn't go. Talk about bummed. Thank God for Haynes and Chilton's. Read the troubleshooting section and found the problem.

I did the same exact thing! Right before I sold me jeep. I was freaking out! Then FarmerBoy slapped me in the back of the head and um yea, I still was able to sell it.

MATT

Back