• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atlas Users

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
What range atlas did you go with? Have you been happy? What are your thoughts on the 5:1 atlas? Everyone likes them I know, but are you REALLY happy with the reduction? or was it not enough? or too much?

MATT

mad maXJ said:
i'm nearly certain no one here runs the 5.0 (yet). do a search over at www.pirate4x4.com/forum (emphasis on SEARCH)

Guy @ Moab ran the 5:1 with stock 3.07's (stick shift) and IIRC 33's (or nearby). He said that for most part on the trail when he's in 4L he runs 4th and 5th gear........ so the big question s what's your tire size, what's your gear ratio and so on...

I have the 3.8:1 with 33 inch tires, I love it. It is perfect. The 5:1 would be if you ran super huge tires otherwise i think the 3.8:1 would be perfect. also it depends on your diff gearing and tire size

Well, figure about 7.17:1 and prolly 37s for trail. Of course this is all speculation for now. With an automatic is this just too much?

I can see where the 5:1 is ganna work great for med tires and small gears. I am just trying to get feedback on thoughts right now.

Thanks much.
MATT

if you're going 7.17s in the diffs, I think the 5:1 will be way too low with an auto. I read a big thread on PBB about ideal crawl ratios with an auto, and most agree on 40-60.

the 5:1 would give you 100
the 4.3 would give you 86
the 3.8 would give you 76
the 3.0 would give you 60

If it were me, I would get a D300 with 2.62 giving you 53 and be about $1800 cheaper.

I think I 5.0 is was too much reduction if you are running anything under 37"s. I think that the 3.8 is a good choice to compliment some 4:56's or 4:88's
My .02

So just what axles will you be running these 7.17s in? Standard rotation D60s front and rear?

XJZ - How about a ride when I'm done? Its just SAWWEEET! :worship:

Axles? 99% sure that most won't know until I can ACTUALLY get some pics, oh and the thing started :D NO really though, its ganna be deep.

Mad MaXJ- I think your right on that. Now that I see numbers, a good 300 prolly do the trick.

The 37s are planned for the trail, but because of gears, ganna have to cram some mosters under it for the trips to the grocery store!

Oh does anyone have a link to that 300 flip kit? Or anyone make one?

MATT

mad maXJ said:
oh, and as long as you're going really deep, get Mog or Volvo portals with 7-point-something gears, tons of clearance, strong and cheaper than built 60s
:shhh: cant tell anyone my secret!!!!!!
MATT

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
So just what axles will you be running these 7.17s in? Standard rotation D60s front and rear?
Standard cut Dana 60 and up :D i have a standard cut 60 front and a 70 rear and run 5.86 gears. The 7.17 for the 70 is already lying there waiting to be installed as soon as the big meats are coming.

With 37s and this low gearing i'm more than happy with the reduction the stock t-case is offering. Best of all is that with a real low gearing in the axles you minimize the chance of breaking t-case or drive shafts and their u-joints.

Back