• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring headache

moneypitxj

NAXJA Member #565
ok i got a problem, this weekend i got a chance to work in a heated garage. i had some new leafs ive been waiting to put in so i went for it. started 1st on the drivers side everything went perfect. went on to the passengers side broke both the tacked nuts on the backside holding the shackle bolt and the main side of the leaf to the frame. the front side i guess will have to be torched or cut somehow at the inside frame to tack another nut up. what about the shackle side i need some suggetions for both sides of the spring. this had to happen to someone before.

It happens alot - easiest way is to cut a hole in the floor above the welded in nut to get a crow's foot or box end wrench on the nut - then just do the reverse for securing the new bolt - two hole saw cuts near each other then a jig saw / angle grinder to connect them gives a nice oval shaped hole to work with...

You may be able to get at the shackle mount nut if you pull the bumper but lifting the carpet and cutting a hole is likely easier...

You can get some plex or lexan and cut a cover plate to silicone (clear RTV works good) down if you are concerned about water intrusion.

HTH

Matt

thanks matt that is some good advice. too bad i didnt write about exo cages, 8.8 axles, or custom lca. i would have had alot more responses

I found a good way to re-weld them, but after you get the bolt out...

I used a 1/4" bit on my die grinder and ground 4 notches outward about a 1/4" in four locations across from each other, like a cross pattern. These holes give you enough room to spot weld the nut without getting weld into the threads. I have a few like this on my jeep and have held up to many bolt removals since.

BTW. front nut can be done from under the frame bracket area also but remember to patch weld it back, and the rear can be gotten from the back crossmember where the bumber is installed.

HTH

mark

The main eye nut is located in a little metal pocket that sits 7/8" out from the frame. If you cut the side off of that pocket, it will allow you access with a sawzall to cut out the nut and bolt. You can then weld a new nut to a small piece of square metal (2"x2" approx) and then weld that square to the side of the pocket. Then create a patch and cover up the hold you made. Beats cutting into the floor and it's easier. I had to do this myself, it was my first ever welding project with a $120 welder from harbor freight and it all turned out good.

xj92 said:
The main eye nut is located in a little metal pocket that sits 7/8" out from the frame. If you cut the side off of that pocket, it will allow you access with a sawzall to cut out the nut and bolt. You can then weld a new nut to a small piece of square metal (2"x2" approx) and then weld that square to the side of the pocket. Then create a patch and cover up the hold you made. Beats cutting into the floor and it's easier. I had to do this myself, it was my first ever welding project with a $120 welder from harbor freight and it all turned out good.

Funny, that is "exactly" what I did. Worked great.

Back