• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Ford 9" info, I searched...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Ok I have a junkyard by my house any axle $66 otd. I went looking and found about 12 Ford 9"s all from different 70s Ford 2wd. trucks, mostly F100s. I noticed that there are two different types of 9" housings, one (from the top) was thicker and more flat. I am guessing that this is an HD version, compared to the others. I just want info on these axles like do they have 31 spline shafts? Some of them look extremely clean with zero rust. What are these axles worth?

Also are there any old cars or vans that would have a closer wms to wms for an XJ? They do not have any 4x4s, except for an 81 Wagoneer.

Thanks

The stronger housing is the one that's less round (can't think of a better way to describe it).

Avoid a WAR case. If you find an N-case, take it, espically if it has the daytona pinion support.

Look at the end of the shafts. 28 spline shafts will have once large recessed area, 31 spline shafts will have three, one dead center, and two on either side.

Bearing size can be determined by retainer bolt size, can't remember which is which off the top of my head.

Also be aware of the 9 3/8" rear. It will have a C8AW casting number in the pinion support.

http://www.quickperformance.com/ninecase.htm

I suggest take a pad of paper, a pencil, and a tape measure and go look at all the axles. XJ axles are roughly 60" wide. Write down third member casting numbers, diff tag numbers, etc. 31 spline shafts can be cut down, 28 have a taper to them and cannot be cut down any, just somehting to keep in mind.

Thanks for the help. I'm going back this weekend.

I was searching on Google and found some info that the 70s F100 9" might be 61-62 wms to wms? Is this true?

I won't make it back to the yard till Sat.

Back