• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Security System Hell

DARRENEVER

NAXJA Forum User
I Own A 91 Jeep Cherokee Laredo And A 95 Sport.

My 91 Seems To Have A Factory Security System That Has Now Become Active After A Month Of Ownership ???

The Battery Died And I Replaced It At The Surprise Of Flashing Lights When I Reconnected The Battery Wires...

I Tried The Door Lock Trick To No Avail...

Is There Any Other Ideas Or Answeres Or Fixes Known???

Please Help I Need To Get To My Job!

Thanks

I can't remember the exact procedure ...

Do the following while the lights are flashing:

1. Sitting inside door closed ... cycle the door locks (driverside)

if that doesn't work ...

2. cycle ignition switch.

This should get you back on the road.

On my ’91 Limited you have to manually cycle the drivers side door lock off and on with the key to disarm the system. If that doesn’t work, cycle the rear cargo latch with the key. Last ditch effort, sit inside the vehicle and manually cycle the driver’s door lock (do not use the electric switch). BTW supposedly there is a “valet” switch somewhere on the inside firewall that disables the system.

same problem with my 91 limited, the driver door doesn't work, nor does the hatch, but the pass door does. Everytime I disconect the bat I have to reset the damn thing.

Wiley Coyote said:
On my ’91 Limited you have to manually cycle the drivers side door lock off and on with the key to disarm the system.

The problem is the system is not actually "armed" when you disconnect/reconnect the battery ... if I'm not mistaken, the FSM describes how to "reset" the security system function after power is restored to the vehicle---I don't think it's exactly the same procedure as "disarming" the system.

That's why the lights flash ... and the horn doesn't blow while in this mode.

Correction to my above post:

From the 1991 FSM ....

"Passive arming occurs upon normal vehicle exit (open door, lock with power locks, close door). The Security lamp in the panel will flash for 15 seconds, indicating that arming is in progress. Note that this 15 second arming period will start after the Illuminated Entry has timed out (courtesy lamps off). If no monitored systems are activated during this period, the system will arm. If the hood switch is not seen by the system, the Security lamp will remain steadily lit during the arming process, although the system will still arm."

"Passive disarming occurs upon normal vehicle entry (unlocking either door with the key). This disarming will also hault the alarm once it has been activated."

"Active disarming occurs when the Remote Keyless Entry transmitter is used to unlock the vehicle doors. This disarming will also hault the alarm once it has been activated".

"Upon initial installation (connection to battery), the Vehicle Theft Security System enters its power up alarm mode which flashes the headlamps, park and tail lamps, and prevents the engine from running. To exit this mode, the system must be disarmed as mentioned previously".

"The alarm system will not arm if the doors are manually locked, providing a manual override of alarm."

FYI. There is nothing in the FSM indicating there's a "valet" switch located on or near the Security Alarm Module.

POS Factory Alarm

I’ve been suffering with the miserable excuse for an alarm that came on my ’91 Cherokee Limited for the last 2 years. I had an after market auto start installed shortly after I bought it. It’s a great system, but it wreaks havoc with the factory alarm. There is no rhyme or reason to when or why the alarm will go off. The lights flashing, horn honking and all the other usual fun. You lose some serious style points when you have to walk out to the parking lot and put your key in the door to turn it off. It has always had a knack for going off at the most inopportune times. Like when I try to take the family to a nice restaurant. Its great fun to have everyone stare at you as you walk back into a place :looser: I’ve tried a couple of different ideas, but none had worked so far. One write up suggested opening the drivers side kick panel and using alligator clips to jump two wires together at a harness connection. Only one problem, my Cherokee doesn’t have a harness connection there and the wires aren’t the right color :confused: Another article said that there was a switch on the firewall that could be set to “valet”. I just about tore the cab apart looking for it. Never seen hide nor hair of it. There was a little light at the end of the tunnel; the driver’s side door lock has two wires going to it that can be jumped to ground out the alarm. The only problem was getting into the door, lots of stuff in the way that I don’t really feel like taking out :bawl: After a week or so, the clue light finally came on-the rear hatch lock can be used to disarm the system as well, so it must have the same two wires going to it! The rear lock is very easy to reach. Just unscrew two screws, pop off a couple of those plastic tree things out of their holes, lift up and you are in there. The two wires going to the lock are easily visible. There is even a factory connection close to the lock, held to the body by a little clip. I simply undid the connection, used a small piece of bare wire to jumper the two posts and refastened the connector. Reassemble in reverse order. Now I can lock, unlock and start my engine at will. Oh joy and rapture!!! :laugh2:

Back