• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No 4 LOW

ChuckD

NAXJA Forum User
I did a AA SYE on my 93' 231 tcase about 2 months ago. I thought everything was working correctly. Well we went up to the snow this weekend and I could shift into 4 High just fine. But when I would shift into 4 low and nothing, just like nuetral. Then I noticed if I held the handle the partime light would come on. So I tried that for awhile, and figured it is just a linkage problem. Well i found out I was just in 2 low, the rear wheels were spinning but the front was not.

I'll be tearing into this Monday. Do you guys know if I have to rebuild it or is there a simple fix.

Thanks,

Chuck

ChuckD said:
I did a AA SYE on my 93' 231 tcase about 2 months ago. I thought everything was working correctly. Well we went up to the snow this weekend and I could shift into 4 High just fine. But when I would shift into 4 low and nothing, just like nuetral. Then I noticed if I held the handle the partime light would come on. So I tried that for awhile, and figured it is just a linkage problem. Well i found out I was just in 2 low, the rear wheels were spinning but the front was not.

I'll be tearing into this Monday. Do you guys know if I have to rebuild it or is there a simple fix.

Thanks,

Chuck

I had that problem after piecing together 3 231's to make 1 231. Turns out I used a shift fork from an off year or something and it wasn't bent the same.
Unfortunatly, that's probably not your problem unless you had a bunch of random t-case parts laying around when you did your SYE :D

So you took the linkage off and tried to shift it into two low. One of the drivers challenge rigs in moab had some issues withing popping out of 4 low, I can't remember if it went out of 4wd or went into neutral, but basically it seemed like it had to have some linkage holding it in 4 low

Gary E said:
So you took the linkage off and tried to shift it into two low. One of the drivers challenge rigs in moab had some issues withing popping out of 4 low, I can't remember if it went out of 4wd or went into neutral, but basically it seemed like it had to have some linkage holding it in 4 low
It shifts into 4low, but no partime light and no go. If I pull it tight the partime light comes on and I have rear 2 low, and that pops a bit while moving.

ChuckD said:
It shifts into 4low, but no partime light and no go. If I pull it tight the partime light comes on and I have rear 2 low, and that pops a bit while moving.

So have you adjusted the linkage? Maybe you just can't pull it far enough?

Gary E said:
So have you adjusted the linkage? Maybe you just can't pull it far enough?
Ok Gary, I'll check the linkage. But I'm waiting to do it on Monday. I don't see why the linkage would be the problem. I lowered the tcase 1", I didn't have any trouble, so now I'm back to stock without the drop. It may have bent it over time, I'll know more by Monday.

Did you trim the shift rail enough? Often this is a problem for peeps when they install a new talihousing.....

CRASH

CRASH said:
Did you trim the shift rail enough? Often this is a problem for peeps when they install a new talihousing.....

CRASH
I didn't trim it at all. According to the directions it did not stick out far enough. I do know for a fact the 231 I have had the roller bearings on the main shaft, if that helps. I was mistaken to mean the shift rail fand not the shift fork.

If that's the problem then I'll I would have to do is take off thetail housing.

:cool:

Thanks everyone!

ChuckD said:
I didn't trim it at all. According to the directions it did not stick out far enough. I do know for a fact the 231 I have had the roller bearings on the main shaft, if that helps. I was mistaken to mean the shift rail fand not the shift fork.

If that's the problem then I'll I would have to do is take off thetail housing.

:cool:

Thanks everyone!

Check it again, I bet it needs a trim......

CRASH

it says not to have the shift rail stick out anymore then an inch. i never trimmed mine and my tcase always pops out of 4low so mine is probably too long.

Is the mode hub installed properly? I rebuilt my 231 during the summer and put the hub in wrong it all went together fine but would only shift into 4hi harshly and would not fully engage 4lo and would pop out. Remedy was to split the cases and reverse the range hub and reassemble. As I remember the long side of the hub faces the long end of the shift rail during assembly. Took about two hours to correct, can be done without removing the T/C.
Works fine now. Maybe thats your problem as adjusting the linkage wouldn't help.

Back