• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What about K&N oil filters?

jtszymano

NAXJA Forum User
Have you guys used them or heard anything about them?
I usually use Mobil 1 but I sometimes have trouble finding them here. I can get them w/ free shipping online...so I might try that! Let me know what you guys think.

K&N

If you don't live in a really dusty environment or dont do water crossings they seem to be decent. I can't remember where online it was but I read a service report from a construction company that tried them in their heavy equipment and the found out that the things did a substantially poorer job than the oem type. Wrecked a couple of big$$ diesel engines due to excess dirt getting in through the intake system. I don't have one, but I've contemplated it. If there were some advantage other than the reusability I'd probably do it. The "big gains in power and mpg" don't seem to be that big according to others so I'm sticking with a paper filter and "modifying" the air box for better flow.
my semi informed .02

He's asking about oil filters not air filters.

oil filters

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: So the teacher didn't read carefully. Whoops, I'll go on spring break now!!

I just put one in... I ussualy run Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 filters, but the K&N runs me less then Mobil 1 so I figure it's worth a shot... anyways so far when I check oil level the oil looks just as good as it looked under Mobil 1 if not better...... I will probably change at the end of next week so I willl post more then.

Kejtar

I have been using them for a while now since Kmart has not had any Mobil-1 filters in stock. The first two I tried a couple of years ago had a tendency to loosen up and had to be retightned. The last few I have not had that problem with. I've started using them regularly now but was down at the advanced auto in allentown/whitehall pa and noticed that they carry them in stock so I will probably go back to the mobil-1 filters.

Thanks guys. Kejtar, yeah, Ive been having trouble finding the Mobils here in LA. I found a online shop selling the K&N for 8.97 each w/ free shipping. Thats 2 bucks cheaper than the Mobils...

where online did you find that deal? i've been using fram double gaurd (~$4.50) w/ mobile 1 for about two years and they hold up very nice and never loosen. my oil stays very clean and transparent _JMHO_ Always willing to try new things though.
thanks

Back