• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 motor, tranny, swap to an 88

xj paddler

NAXJA Forum User
I have found a 93 recked xj. I have an 88 that is in great condition other than the motor and tranny. I would like to have the power of the high output from the 93. My motor needs to be completly rebuilt or a long block dropped back in.

What would be the advantages of stripping the 93 and putting everything back in the 88. Also what all would have to be done, gauges/instrment pannel, under the dash wirring harness, under the hood wireing harness, computer, I am looking for any advice. Money is something I dont have, but I do have plenty of time to work on a project like this.

Are there any write ups on a swap like this?????

Thanks Heath

I did a similar but more difficult swap when I took out the 2.8 v6 in my 86 and swapped in the entire drive train and electrical system from a 92 with a 4.0. Your swap would be a lot easier than what I did because you don't have to make all of the mods to the body that I did. You will have to swap the electrical system, computer, fuel pump, and most likely the dash and dash wiring.
Dave

Basically count on swaping all the wires out of the 92 into the 88. I swapped a 94 2.5 into my 84 and had to change everything. Dash, vehical harness, engine harness, wiper motor, wiper resivoir, tail light harness, etc. Yours would probalby be almost as extensive b/c there was a wiring change in 91! ANd the connector from the dash to the engine was different. Having an entire vehicle to pull parts from would make the job SOOOOO much easyer and cost effective.

Back