• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

funny sounds and noises?

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
hey everyone,
ive got a 90 xj limited and the darn thing is making a plethora of noises i cant explain.
1.)The most pressing one is some kind of clicking sound that speeds up as i step on the acceleration. It doesnt do it all the time, and at first it didnt do it too often, but its become more frequent.
2.)The second is and whirring sound coming from what seems to be the rear of the vehicle that kicks in randomly.
3.) not a sound but equally as annoying is that my rear lights dont work and neither do my odometer/speedometer gauge. grrrr
4.)last but certainly not least is that my jeep feels woefully underpowered and is idling extremely low.
im obviously no mechanic but if you know what these things are or could toss a clue my way id bless you with a thousand prayers. Hopefully its nothing to major, but my luck is never that good.
Thanks,
Adam

The clicking sound could be noisy lifters. Try a lifter cleaner / conditioner to see if it helps. Could also be a cracked exhaust manifold.
2/ whirring noise from the rear is likely the fuel pump. They get noisy, then later they die, after a long time...
3/ rear lites may be a fuse, bad sockets, bad wiring??
4/Jeeps are not real powerhouses, but they should be pretty peppy. Perhaps its time for a tune-up, check the O2 sensor, knock sensor, etc.

Back