• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fluid, transmission tempreture. jeep tecs please.

urbanXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Ya'll
2000XJ

The XJ has tranny cooler in radiator.

I cut the line flowing from radiator to tranny, and in series added a B&M 24,000 cooler (gave me about a quart more fluid in sys) then a tranny oil filter after the secondary cooler. I havn't bolted it in yet, I just let it sit in a nice little space between the firewall and the AC condenser. So, now my oil is going in to the tranny at a way less tempreture than stock.

Should that cause longterm problems? Short term everything seems OK.
Just wandering if injecting the tranny with literaly cold fluid may be not so good. But if that was a problem, how would jeeps get around in the snow?

I guess I answered my own Q.

now I got an Idea, wrap the oil hose around the condenser, and no more smoking your fluid driving in the sand.

Regards,
JB
561 (I think)

hey there,

i have a similiar setup with the tranny cooler, and was debating about putting an in-line tranny oil filter, but never found a good spot for it. I'd like to know where exactly you mounted the filter and housing.

Also---being that you went to the trouble to do all of this stuff, it seems like it wouldnt be too much more trouble to add a tranny temp gauge in line there as well---so then you can visually SEE the temp of the tranny. If you wanted to get reall fancy, you could wire in 2 sending units, 1 upstream and 1 downstream of the coolers----to see how many BTUs u are pulling out. Just have a 2 position switch to switch between the 2 senders.

As far as tranny temps go....I know heat is what kills a transmission....but I'm not sure if they mind running cool/cold. Maybe someone else will (hopefully) chime in here about that.

In the summer (70-80 degreee weather) my tranny, on the highway will run about 150-180, depending on my driving conditions. (I've had it up to 250 driving it hard on the beach)
Right now it is REALLY cold here in NY (it is currently 8 degrees here), so factor in a wind chill and its REAL cold at 60MPH. My tranny in the winter now, on the highway will SLOWLY come up to about 100 or less.

Hope this helps. I AM still interested in knowing if the tranny gets enough lubrication at the lower <100 deg temps. <--- maybe someone will answer this one for us!

CaptTrev

heat kills automatic transmissions

CapTrev,

Thanks for the advice.

As of now, the filter is loose. Under the hood of my 00 there is a little space between the condenser and the firewall. Below the space is the AC fan plastic housing. Top of the firewall at the passanger side of the engine bay area.

If I decide to keep it there I will make a spacer block mounted to the firewall. Then, I will fasten the filter assembly to the spacer block.
It just fits.

I did not fasten the filter because I was concerned the the oil flow would be lost because of the hydrostatic pressure of the oil in the line, combined with the risistance of the filter and all the additional length of hose.
I think I am having some those troubles.

I plan on adding gauges, just time & $ restrictions.

I am intrested in the 2 position switch with a 2 position sender setup you have. That sounds great.

Thanks for the ideas!

why are you mounting it inside the engine compartment? it should be mounted out in front of the radiator behind the grill

I've never known a slushbox to fail from running too cold, but I also know there's a "sweet spot" of about 185-190* that they like. B&M, and I think Flex-A-Lite and Hayden all make a nifty thermostatic bypass valve that you can wire inline with your remote filter that will allow coolant flow to the cooler above that temperature, and run it right back into the transmission at lower temps. I have used this with solid results.

I am firmly in favour of getting the OEM "radiator" cooler out of the circuit, as it makes no sense to cool hot oil with hot water - as well as running hot oil thru water that is supposed to cool off your engine. So, my preferred setup is a remote filter on a bypass valve going to an external cooler.

I'd start checking with the companies I listed above for the thermal valve - one or more should have it reasonably priced.

5-90

Back