• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeaky Belt

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a horribly squeaky serpentine belt on my '92 XJ Limited that refuses to remain fixed. I tightened it to the specifications in my manual, I doused it in wd-40 on numerous occasions which fixed it for 30 minutes or so of driving, now the only thing I can think of is replacing it, which I'd rather not have to do. Any suggestions?

They make a special belt dressing for it, try it out. You sure it's tight enough?

I also have a '92 XJ 4.0 A/C with a squeeky belt. The previous owner kept good records. He put several belts into this XJ over it's 160K mile life. When I purchased it there was no squeak. However after several K miles a very loud sqeak developed. I thought my power steering pump had died it was so loud. However a new belt fixed the problem. That was something like 5 K miles ago. I can hear the new belt beginning to squeak now and expect I'll be putting a new new belt in in the next few K miles.

Something isn't right about the pullys or something. Sorry, I can't suggest a fix but I've had the the same problem if it's any consolation.

I wonder if one of the pulley's isn't glazed over? Maybe some light sanding? Can it safely be done with the engine running to save time :laugh3:

Belt dressing works, but it is really messy. I have used chalk on belts to elimate the squeak. Be sure to take a look at the crankshaft damper pully to see if its starting to "creep" out of alignment, common problem.

Have you replaced the tensioner pulley? That should be done every once in a while also you know. Perhaps yours is making noise?

I've never heard of WD-40 for that purpose .It's a lubricant so I would think it would cause more slipping. Let me know the theory behind that one. A mechanic once told me that belt dressing works but is only a temporary fix and actually causes the belt to wear faster. It adds a sticky coating to the belt which also makes dirt and debris stick to it wearing it down faster. I would remove it and inspect all pulleys and make sure they spin free (ie. no bearings going). A light sanding with some fine sandpaper might help but sounds like a new belt would be best. Re-tighten it after a few miles of driving.

I had a badly squealing belt on my 90 XJ with the I6 4.0. It was that way for a couple of months, with the recommended tension. I had to drive it from NY to Columbus. It got worse in Cleveland (250 miles later). I stopped at a rest stop and took the belt off. I turned everything it turned by hand. The alternator was much more difficult to turn than I expected. I figured since I had the noise for some time, and the charging system was still working, on to Columbus (another 120 miles). At the top of the ramp in Columbus, a much louder squealing and scraping noise started. I drove it the last mile to my cousin's house with everybody near me thinking something was wrong with their car.

When I pulled the alternator, the back bearing had lost it's oil seal and 2 or 3 balls from it. I got a ride to Napa and all was well in about an hour. Nothing money couldn't fix.

I would take the belt off and turn everything it touches by hand. Everying should spin freely.
MoFo

Belts only squeak/squeal for one of a few reasons:
1. insufficient belt tension
2. belt worn/contaminated (belt dressing is a GREAT contaminant, as is WD-40)
3. pulleys VERY worn or contaminated
4. pulleys not in ALIGNMENT (not all in the same plane)

If you replace the belt, and tension it properly, I am betting on #4. The harmonic balancer tends to fail on the 4.0 in such a way that the crank pulley goes out of plane with the others, resulting in belt bind and squeal.

Also, if the belt is a cheapee from like autozone...they have a tendancy to squeel. Id bought one and it squeeled from the get go, bought a goodyear gator belt...it never squeeled again.

I second the use of the GoodYear Gator belts. They grip much better and are more resistant to slipping than any other belt that I have ever used. Very good stuff.

yea i sunk my xj in mud up to the front bumper... meerly escaping a hydro lock (thank god) and now it squeaks pretty good. if i give it gas the squeaking goes away for a couple minutes but then continutes. any ideas? can there be mud in my pulleys?

Hallo Jeeper. My "92 was squeaky also! It was the idlerpulley.
The bearing was run out and dry. After reinstalling a new one from Crown,the squel was worser ,because the new pulley was delivered dry without grease! Beltdressing makes it also screaming like a pig.:wave1:

On my 99. the squeek ended up coming from the lower pulley (the crank shaft I believe), turns out, it is a two piece construction, with a thin layer of rubber in between, when the rubber wears, it starts to slip, and makes the squeal sound.

get a good quality belt like the good year gatorback one use some degreaser on the pulleys and then lightly sand them. it should remedy the problem for a long long time. A good belt goes a long way.

Back