• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Problems

greenday9d1

NAXJA Forum User
Recently my headlights on my '92 XJ Limited had been getting dimmer and dimmer, until I practically had to drive around with my brights on at night. Then my wundshield wipers started to slow down. Then the day after that, my windshield wipers were fine, and my headlights were suddenly brighter than ever! Of course I'm sure this will happen again, and probably worse next time, so if anyone has any info please help.

Look at doing the headlight upgrade, holy cow it made a differrance. You will bypass several connectors where voltage loss can occur. Check out your volt level at the headlight connector. Somewhere in the low 11 range. Not good enough.

Andy in Co. said:
Look at doing the headlight upgrade, holy cow it made a differrance. You will bypass several connectors where voltage loss can occur. Check out your volt level at the headlight connector. Somewhere in the low 11 range. Not good enough.

And how does this relate to the wipers??? Follow Daves advice.

Rev

My headlights were dim, when I replaced my grill surround I noticed that the ground on the headlight plug (where the plug mates to the sealed beam) was loose. I could wiggle it and the lamp would brighten & dim. Just dismantled it and cleaned it up, ,then taped it off so it wouldn't get crap in there again...bright as ever now...

I'm gonna look into halogen bulb conversion sometime soon too....

Rev Den said:
And how does this relate to the wipers??? Follow Daves advice.

Rev
It dosen't. It relates to his headlight problems. It might not solve it but it will put proper voltage to the lights so they will produce the proper wattage.

Andy in Co. said:
It dosen't. It relates to his headlight problems. It might not solve it but it will put proper voltage to the lights so they will produce the proper wattage.
I doubt that would help as well. I'm sure the whole system isn't getting proper voltage, going by what the wipers are doing. Do you have guages, if so what does the voltmeter read when the problem is occuring? I'd suspect the battery and/or alternator of being faulty. Take it to Autozone, they'll test both for free.

Sequoia

Unfortunately I broke my voltmeter the last time i tried to figure out how to use it, but if autozone will test it for free then that sounds great! I'm currently dealing with various other problems but I'll post again after I get a little more into this one. Thank you all for responding!

As far as I can see from my Mitchel guide the wiper and headlights share no power source. Each have a seperate fused power source. Heck ones inside and ones under the hood. If I am wrong someone stop me and help me pull my foot out. But lets say they do share power and you do the up grade it will pull the up to 20 amps out of that cicuit. Hoe would that not help?

Here is 1 that fixed a power problem in my XJ and it was a simple missed area. Check the Fuses to see if they are connected firmly in the Block. I know this because I just had to replace a fuse like for my Radio, Lighter, Blower circuit. The fuse was lose and cuased power problems. placed a fusable link in its place. Power problem was fixed.

Back