• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dash light fuse popping......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok, the dash light fuse is popping. 94 wire harness in an 84 XJ. What is on the circuit besides the illumination of the dash lights? I believe somthing is grounded but where would you start?

Last edited:
when i lost my dash light on my 89 , i also lost my rear lights. didnt realize it until someone pulled next to me a night and told me i had no tailights.

Hmm, on my 84 that happened with the rear lights but on this new 94 harness there seems to be nothing else affacted. The cig. lighter is a thought but the 93 manual I have says the only thing on that fuse is the instrament illumination and the radio illumination. And the radio Acc switch on wire is dead in the dash too. Curious, those cicuits are not the same per the fuse block. The manual says the fuse diagram are for 93-95.

Mine would pop everytime I would put it in second gear. I found a bared wire in the shift gate (auto tranny). The wire was for the bulb in the transfer case shift gate...just another place to check...

Had the same problem,turned out to be the "chime module" you can pull the module with out having any problems.
The module is what causes the buzzing sound when you leave the keys in,lights on n crap like that.Mine "was" in the lower left side of the fuse panel.

Looks like its the headlight switch. When I turn the dimmer on it it pops near the click. Will try a new one. This one is new but apparently grounding out.

Ok so the new switch does the same thing. I put a tester on the fuse block and one side is grounded out and the other grounds when the dimmer for the instrament cluster is turned. Any thoughts?

No. I think there is a plug grounded so my plan (when I get to it) is to follow all wires and tape any that are questionable. I may also get an OEM headlight switch and try that.

Bet you a buck it isn't the switch. The switch is a rheostat and simply limits the current to the lights. When you go to the click position, it no longer limits the current so it pops the fuse.

old_man said:
Bet you a buck it isn't the switch. The switch is a rheostat and simply limits the current to the lights. When you go to the click position, it no longer limits the current so it pops the fuse.

Ok smarty pants so what do you think it is?

No i just put a whole 94 wiring harness in there not long ago trying to get away from these kind of grimlins. LOL!

replace the fuse with a .22lr or a bolt.

2offroad said:
replace the fuse with a .22lr or a bolt.
Dude! WTF are you babbleing about? :flame: :explosion

well if you use a .22lr and it denuts you. you will not care about the dashlights, the bolt will burn out the problem so either way problem solved, easy

you didnt have the interior of the rear hatch off and plug some "loose wires" together did you, i had that problem in my 90, had the interior out putting in speakers and plugged 2 wires that looked like they fit together, popped fuses and i had no dash or tail lights, removed the rear interior and saw the fried wire, i dunno what they went to, but i know they arent supposed to be plugged together. and putting something in the fuse panel is bad makes stuff burn and smell funny haha.

:clap: :laugh:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Funny you should mention that... it's now 11:43 pm and I just got back from my interview in Houston at around 8:00 pm. I spent most of this evening under the dash :repair: messing around with wires. Suddenly I decided that MAYBE that little connector my neighbor and I reconnected while replacing my speakers could be the root of my troubles. At the time I thought it had something to do with my rear defroster not working anymore. Sure enough I tore out the rear hatch cover and disconnected it. I was out of 10amp fuses so I threw a 7.5 in just to see what would happen.

And on the seventh day the XJ Chief said, "LET THERE BE INSTRUMENT AND PARKING LIGHTS"

:party:

Just walked in to write it:compwork: up and there's your post. :roflmao:

I guess this means from now on that I won't just connect wires when I see them anymore, I'll find out what they do or leave them alone! :banghead:

I'll have to check that one out. Are you refering to the pannel on the rear hatch or the pannel ont he left cargo area. I doubt that is it bc I had them for a while after I did the swap. Then all of a sudden poof! No dash lights. and this is a 94 wiring harness!

Back