• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough Idle

ipower

NAXJA Forum User
I posted a message earlier about a rough idle and blowing black smoke. You guys were right on the money about the vaccum line to the map sensor. Just fixed it, but still has rough idle and it hesitates under throttle. Any ideas? BTW, 89 XJ with a 4.0
greg

How old is the o2 sensor? An o2 sensor sending false readings will cause it to run rich. Just a thaught....

ipower said:
I posted a message earlier about a rough idle and blowing black smoke. You guys were right on the money about the vaccum line to the map sensor. Just fixed it, but still has rough idle and it hesitates under throttle. Any ideas? BTW, 89 XJ with a 4.0
greg

Might want to check your spark plugs. I did that once and had the same probelms afterwards. Checked my spark plugs and they were fouled. I replaced them all because they needed replacing anyway, but you could probably get away with cleaning them if they are in good condition.

90red

Start with looking at your spark plugs. If you were blowing black smooth they may be fouled. If the plugs and wires are good and if it runs good at open throttle but only bad at idle then check out your egr valve. A rough idle is often caused by an egr valve that is not fully closed during idle. It is supposed to allow exhaust gases into the intake only during open throttle. If the valve does not seal and leaks a little then = rough idle; if it leaks alot = the engine dies at idle. The chiltons and fsm have a test procedure for the egr. If it has never been changed it is probably a good suspect. Mine went out at around 110,000 miles with similar symptons. The egr is only available from the dealer usually. Note only the pre 91s have an egr. Good Luck. Greg

I installed a K&N cone filter and plugged all the EGR lines. I friend of mine said that it was ok but I really don't understand the purpose of the system. Do I need to unplug the lines and hook everything back up?
Greg

The egr system controlls the nox levels in your emissions system. Technically discoing the egr is a federal violation. However, if you plugged it so that now none of the exhaust is able to get into the intake it probably is not causing your problem unless of course your plug is leaking. If the egr valve and the tube from it to your exhaust is still on and if you only disconnected you vacum line controlling the egr then it could still be a leaking egr valve. Good Luck. Greg

Back