• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve cover or rear main???

soulslngr

NAXJA Forum User
I am having trouble diagnosing this oil leak. I have searched and searched on here, but I still cant get it. It is not an active leak (dripping continuously while running). It seems to be that what leaks is the drops that have collected on the bellhousing and tranny pan when I park it. the oil level never changes though.... I just want to stop "leaving a calling card" everywhere I park = ) any help or hints would be awesome...... thanks again!

The tranny cooler lines (under the radiator) will spray oil along the bottom of the motor nad pretty much all the way back,
The front crank seal (behind the vibration damper)
The oil filter mount
The valve cover (rear seems to be a trouble spot).
Even the oil filler cap and the crankcase ventilation hoses on the top of the early models. Plugged crankcase ventilation lines, will build pressure and cause numerous seeps and leaks and often fill the air box with oil (runs down the frame and wheel well from the drain hole in the bottom of the air box).
The rear main seal often seeps or leaks and collects inside the bell housing, when parked, the oil will dribble down and cause drips.
Front (or rear) transfer case shaft seals and/or case halves seeping.
Power steering lines, sometimes rub and seep or leak.
My 88 has all of the above, to one degree or another, except the tranny cooler lines, which I just fixed :roll:

I had an oil leaking issue similar to what you are describing. I ended up having to clean the PCV and breather tubes and replace the valve cover gasket. The PCV issue seems to be common and I would check that first as it's and $8 gasket and your time to fix it.

EDIT: Run a search on PCV and you will find a bunch of stuff on how and what you should do to fix the issue.

Last edited:
the leak is definately coming from the back, I think some is the valve cover (oil sludge and some looking fresh up high), I replaced it but I dont like the cork gasket in there (got a rubber on the way), the trans cooler line are disconnected because I have an aftermarket installed elsewhere, I am goin to replace the valve cover gasket and clean out the PCV orifice while I'm at it. hopefully that'll help some, or at least narrow it down to waiting til a warm day to do the rear main

As some say, the XJ isn't leaking...it's just marking it's territory! My '89 XJ had some bad leaks...valve cover and rear seal. After many $$$ to get those fixed, it still marks it territory. I haven't figured out the minor leaks...they're minor nuisances...until I park in my brother-in-laws pristine driveway!

Good Luck!

8Mud said:
The tranny cooler lines (under the radiator) will spray oil along the bottom of the motor nad pretty much all the way back,
The front crank seal (behind the vibration damper)
The oil filter mount
The valve cover (rear seems to be a trouble spot).
Even the oil filler cap and the crankcase ventilation hoses on the top of the early models. Plugged crankcase ventilation lines, will build pressure and cause numerous seeps and leaks and often fill the air box with oil (runs down the frame and wheel well from the drain hole in the bottom of the air box).
The rear main seal often seeps or leaks and collects inside the bell housing, when parked, the oil will dribble down and cause drips.
Front (or rear) transfer case shaft seals and/or case halves seeping.

Power steering lines, sometimes rub and seep or leak.
My 88 has all of the above, to one degree or another, except the tranny cooler lines, which I just fixed :roll:

I just went over my 87 last night and found ALL of those. Thought for a second I posted that last night and did not remember!

hearing all this makes me feel a little more assured about it. I'll just try to take care of one spot at a time and apologize for marking peoples driveways.... heck its a driveway, its supposed to be dirty! :rtm:

Sure fire way to find it...go to local auto parts store and buy ULTRAVIOLET oil dye (works in any petrol fluid, bout' 5 bucks) and empty contents into crankcase. Buy UV (blacklight) light bulb and put it in a trouble/shop light. Drive for a day or two, get under your XJ with the light and look around. You will find the leak- should find bright green/yellow drips where the oil is leaking/seeping from. I've done this on many, many cars...it never fails. It works especially well when oil has run all down the side/back of the block and you can't tell if its a valve cover thing or head gasket! HTH. :lickout:

Back