• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Did Search - Replacement U-Joints?

NHXJer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey All:

Did a search, but really didn't find my answer: I want to replace All the u-joints on my front and rear driveshafts - what do I need - 5 series 1310 Spicers? Anything else? What are the P/N's for these?

BTW, 88XJ Limited, 4.0, AW4, NP231, D30 front, D35 rear

Thanks,
Chris

You may also need a centering kit for the double cardan u-joint at the tcase end of the front driveshaft.

Sorry, I misread the question. Make sure you pick up a new set of straps for the yoke end. They hold the u-joint to the rear yoke and I'm fairly certain the front yoke as well. They're cheap and will hold the caps better than the old ones will (they stretch after a while). If the caps aren't held securely they could start spinning in the yoke and will round out the seats basically ruining the yoke. I've never replaced my double-cardan joints... or any of the front driveshaft joints for that matter (200,000 miles on them), but have replaced both the rears. Just tell the parts store what you need and what axle you have. The part numbers I just got from Randy's Ring and Pinion are: 5-433-1X (unless I switched the boxes when looking at them that's for the heavy duty u-joint) and 5-153x (case sensitive) for the light to medium duty. Both of those are for the front end of the rear drive shaft (I'll only be using one- it was a shipping error.) I don't know what the part numbers are for the rest. Good luck.

So was 1310 the answer? I think I need to change the rear u-joint on my rear RE drive shaft and I don't have time to order one so I'm just going to get it at napa or something.

Also, any tricks to getting it out or do I just remove the clip?

Thanks

I am at work, so don't have the boxes in front of me.

I ended up going to a local driveshaft shop and got Spicers. None of the auto parts stores around here carried them, but all had replacements in stock - IIRC, they pretty much all carried Precision brand joints.

It took me all of about 20 minutes to replace both joints in the rear - pop off the rings, and tap the old joints out. Pay attention to which way the zerks are facing when you install the joints - if you face them the wrong way, it's very difficult to get a grease gun on them to pack them.

Chris

Back