• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How I fixed my power door lock problem.

RTicUL8

NAXJA Forum User
’88 4-door Limited /w keyless entry.
My 15+ year old ride has been getting tired. The doorlocks haven’t worked so well in the last several years. When it gets cold out, they sometimes don’t open at all.
I had chalked it up to low voltage, but I knew it had to be something else.
I had installed a 200amp power master alternator, New Optima red-top, and hot-wired a solid 12guage wire from the battery directly to the passenger’s front door (with a 30amp inline fuse).
I was getting nearly 14 volts at the doors and they still were sluggish.
----
I finally had time to take all the door locks apart and found my problem.
After 15 years the door latches were really gummed up with grease/dirt/scum/mud/you name it...
I soaked them in gasoline for about an hour and then finished them off in a power wash.
After they dried, I put a new coat of white lithium grease on them.
Now they open easier than…(hee-hee. let’s not go there :laugh3: )

Hey, I'll have to pry my doors apart and try your solution. I've got an '89 XJ and the power locks only work on the passenger side. Maybe I can restore it to "factory fresh" with a little cleaning!

Thanks for the info. I've got an intermittent rear door that I've been putting off. Now that I know it may only require a cleaning instead of replacement I might do it this year. ;)

There is a design problem with the pre 91s which makes them work intermintently when the locks get old, stiff or when they are cold. Cleaning them usually only helps for a short while. I have tried all the fixes including cleaning and found that adding relays to compensate for the two volt lose cause by the passenger side switch is the only good long term fix for the pre 91s. Here is a link to the last time I posted the fix. Note I know of about 50 people who have done this fix with much success on this forum and Jeepsunlimited.com. Good Luck. Greg
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1874&highlight=door+lock

Greg Smith said:
There is a design problem with the pre 91s which makes them work intermintently when the locks get old, stiff or when they are cold. Cleaning them usually only helps for a short while. I have tried all the fixes including cleaning and found that adding relays to compensate for the two volt lose cause by the passenger side switch is the only good long term fix for the pre 91s. Here is a link to the last time I posted the fix. Note I know of about 50 people who have done this fix with much success on this forum and Jeepsunlimited.com. Good Luck. Greg
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1874&highlight=door+lock

I did see your article a while back and considered doing this. However, I had already riged up a 12 guage solid wire between the battery to the front passenger's side doorlock. I added an inline 30amp fuse. Even after getting a constant 13+ volts at the door they were sluggish.
---
The proof that cleaning worked came last week when I woke up to -13 degree weather and they still clicked open with no problems.
---
I would agree that your suggestion would be a good alternative to getting better voltage than my hack job.
Thanks!

What about the power locks on a '92 XJ? My rear drivers side door doesn't always unlock which is a point of some embarrasment to me as I worship that car above all other things.

RTicUL8 said:
I did see your article a while back and considered doing this. However, I had already riged up a 12 guage solid wire between the battery to the front passenger's side doorlock. I added an inline 30amp fuse. Even after getting a constant 13+ volts at the door they were sluggish.
---
The proof that cleaning worked came last week when I woke up to -13 degree weather and they still clicked open with no problems.
---
I would agree that your suggestion would be a good alternative to getting better voltage than my hack job.
Thanks!

The problem with the original design is that you always lose 2 volts at the passenger door lock switch. Under the old design (pre 92) all volts regardless of which switch you use pass through the passenger door switch. My fix bypasses that switch for all locks except the lock in that door. (Note there is enough volts remaining to always work the lock in that door but you lose another couple of volts after the switch in wiring to the other locks so your end up w. 6-8 volts at the locks at the end of the circuit which is not enough). If you added a line to the battery and relay but did not by pass that switch then you are still losing 2 volts and thus in my opinion your lubing and cleaning of the lock mechanisms is a temp fix that will not last. I hope is works for you however. Greg

Last edited:
JEEPZZ said:
I did Greg's lock mod on my 87 and two of my friends Jeeps. All the locks are now lightning quick.

Glad it work for you and your friends. It is amazing how annoying those power locks can be when they don't all work. The door lock fix party just gets bigger all the time. :party: Greg

I need to dig into my doors and do this. One of my rear locks doesn't always open and the others are slow and don't open sometimes either. What order does the power go through the doors.

Fryphax said:
I need to dig into my doors and do this. One of my rear locks doesn't always open and the others are slow and don't open sometimes either. What order does the power go through the doors.

From the lock/unlock relays which are behind the passenger's side kick pannel they go to: right front, right rear, left front, left rear, liftgate.

Look here for your specific wiring diagram:
http://www.e-toolbox.com/ads/index.cfm

Fryphax said:

Read my fix DIY in the link I included in my first post in this thread for all the info you need. Greg

Alright, everyone.

Do what Greg says. He is THE MAN when it comes to this door lock problem. Do a search on any of the Jeep boards and you will find dozens of hits for Greg Smith. I hereby personally attest to the fix. Worked like a charm on my '90. They will slam so hard, it will wake the neighbors.

Greg Smith said:
Read my fix DIY in the link I included in my first post in this thread for all the info you need. Greg
I have a 93 that had the same problem with the rear passenger door lock when it was cold. I cleaned it up and it's better now. I'm assuming I don't have the same voltage drop as the pre 92's.
Mike

Does anyone know if this fix works on a 92XJ sport, My rear passanger door on driverside does not work worth Sh!t and it is a pain in the butt to place the baby carrier on the roof, ground, or front seat to reach around and unlock the door

Back