• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no start no spark

randomxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 cherokee trail rig that has sat for about a month after wheeling all summer it has ben geting harder to start but nowwhen i try to start it cranks fine but wont chatch has fuel and air but no spark. i have repaced the spark plugs and wires over the summer. Im thinking its a senser but im not shure were to start cps? im not in a panic to fix it its not my dd but im geting ready to swap in a 8.8 but need to figure this out before i can have fun with the welder.thanks for any help.

I'd advise swapping in a fresh CPS just on general principle... if it fixes it, great! If not you have a spare :)

Be advised that an aftermarket CPS may not allow the factory 'shouldered' bolts to pass through the brackets (without a slight bit of honing the holes out) I ran into this yesterday trying to fix wifey's Jeep, and of course my drill & bits were 30 miles away at work. Quik fix and I'll get the rascal installed this afternoon.

Hope this helps!

Check your ignition control module. That's what went out on me. I replaced my CPS, TPS, and coil before I figureed it out.

is there a way to check the ignition control module or should i just change it out. Also is there a easy way to get to the cps. when i swaped moters on my 95 the only way i could get to it was with 2 universils and it was not fun is there a way i dont see. also the specs on the rig are 88 I6 5speed with a 231.Thanks for the help

You may want to check the camshaft position sensor, and the wiring to it, it is in the distributor, it is a hall effect sensor as well as the crank sensor, what you are describing could be caused by this sensor acting badly. (at least its easier to get at ...;-))

Good advice on the ICM and Cam Pos Sensor

The 'best' way I've done the Crank sensor on an AW4 Jeep is using (3/8" drive) a shallow 11mm socket, then a swivel/universal thingy, then about 2' of extensions and the 3/8 ratchet. (turning the ratchet down below the front driveshaft.

IIRC (LOL just did this 45 min ago) I got the bottom bolt easier from inboard of the driveshaft, and the top bolt easier from outboard. :) Other than a little mud/leftover snow, it all went smoother than the one in my trail rig ...side of the road in the cold Dec rain, tools locked up inside & no hatch key, climbing over the seats to fetch tools, unclear what combo of gizzys would work, etc...

OTOH it seems like on my 89 5 speed, I could reach down on it from up top, using an 11mm stubby combo wrench.

is there any way i can put a meter on the cps or any other sensers, im not trying to be a web mecanic but the high temp has been 13 today and ive been home for the past 4 days with a bad flu thanks again for every ones help

Back