• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repairing Cast Aluminum Transfer Case

BrianJr

NAXJA Forum User
While installing my Advanced Adapters SYE I managed to break the front half of the transfer case's casing. The break is around the 12-point 10mm bolt at the top of the case. The case itself is intact. That is, the break is in the material that goes around the outside of the bolt. The interior of the case is fine. However, enough of the material that is supposed to wrap around that bolt is missing that something needs to be done.

First Question:
I have the piece that broke off - is there a way to glue it on? Someone local suggested JB-Weld.

Second Question:
That is the one bolt that passes all the way through the case. I think that I can place a nut and washer on the bolt so that the nut will press the case halves together. Their is enough material to hold the bolt in place, just not enough to get a tight lock on the threads. Has anyone tried this sort of thing before? Is there some reason why it wouldn't work or shouldn't be tried?

How It Happened:
It turned out that the 12point 10mm bolt had some metal filling the threads that were exposed out past the case. I couldn't see the problem because I installed the SYE with the transfer case on the XJ. All I knew was that the bolt was tight. All the other bolts had been loctited so I assumed this one got a little too much. I gave a good twist and CRACK. Off comes a chip of aluminum from above the bolt.

Thanks,
-Brian

BTW: I apologize for not having pictures - the Jeep is over an hour away and I didn't have my camera with me.

I don't know about fixing it, but how about going to a boneyard and gutting a tcase and taking with you the part of the casing that you need?

I am no expert on the t-case, all I've done is an SYE as well, but it seems to me like a repair would work. You might not get a perfect seal, but since it is at the top where that pesky 12 point 10 mm is, I wouldn't think too much would leak. From what I understand the oil pump slings fluid anyway. With the rest of the bolts in place I would guess there is enough holding the case together. With that said don't be surprised if one day the thing grenades for one reason or another, you've seen how thin the walls of the t-case are. I myself would try and fix it like you described.

There are three reasons I don't want to replace the case:
  1. I'm cheap and the boneyard wants to charge me for the complete transfer case ($400 - ouch) even though I only need one half of the case
  2. I'm lazy and that would require pulling the entire transfer case
  3. I suspect I don't need to (see I'm lazy above) ;)

I just didn't know if there was some reason I should not expect the idea of using the nut would work. I also wondered if anyone had tried JB-Weld on cast aluminum.

-Brian

Kejtar said:
I don't know about fixing it, but how about going to a boneyard and gutting a tcase and taking with you the part of the casing that you need?

Don´t think JB weld is gonna hold much, got to figure the leverage when tightening a bolt, is gonna crack or crush the JB weld.
From the discription, sounds like I´ve seen that before. But on another model transfer and on the adaptor. I used a grinding wheel and flattened the area around the bolt some (a little more clearance) and used a thick washer (an old intake/exhaust manifold washer) I had enough flat area, so the washer didn`t cant or twist when I tightened everything up. I cleaned the case sealing surface real good and used a quality silicon gasket sealer. It´s been holding up for 4 or 5 years now.
I´ve used Loc Tite metal mend, to fix some stripped aluminium threads and such, but only in places that have little stress. A neat trick is to wax the bolt (car wax) put it in finger tight, let the glue set up good and tighten it a little with feeling (don´t muscle brain it). The wax keeps the bolt from sticking, makes future removal a lot easier.

dont worry about that bolt

Back