• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 Classic options....

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Is it possible to get a '99 or '00 Classic without ABS and the Dana 35?? Or did all the Classics come with ABS?? I'm thinking I want a Classic with the separate headrest seats, BUT don't want the Dana 35. Not sure this is possible. If not, I'll stop looking! I've never seen a Sport with anything but the one piece seats. And I really don't need Leather in a Limited, but I'm guessing that ALL Limiteds came with ABS??
Thanks in advanced!

what about buy the best XJ you can find and get the seats you want and install them? plenty of good sources for used parts available... and as far as the Dana 35 goes you won't find it in anything that new.. ( not since 94 maybe?) only gonna find the Chrysler 8.25 unless someone has swapped an axle... i don't know much about the ABS system besides my sport doesnt have it.. good luck in your search
mike

I just recently purchased a '98 Classic, no ABS with 8.25 and seats with separate headrests. Got mine with only 33K on it! I don't have cruise (don't really care either), it didn't come with the factory fog lamps (would like to have, but I can add them), and I would have liked UC, but I can add the skids and hooks later. Keep searching, you'll find the one you want. Long live the XJ!

sidriptide said:
and as far as the Dana 35 goes you won't find it in anything that new.. ( not since 94 maybe?) only gonna find the Chrysler 8.25 unless someone has swapped an axle... i don't know much about the ABS system besides my sport doesnt have it..
mike
It is my understanding, that that rear end info is incorrect. I believe that the Dana 35 came with the ABS option???? Until the end, in 01??? can anyone corroborate that?
Thanks

sidriptide said:
what about buy the best XJ you can find and get the seats you want and install them? plenty of good sources for used parts available... and as far as the Dana 35 goes you won't find it in anything that new.. ( not since 94 maybe?) only gonna find the Chrysler 8.25 unless someone has swapped an axle... i don't know much about the ABS system besides my sport doesnt have it.. good luck in your search
mike

Here is the info on the axles....

there is NO way an XJ came from the factory with the 8.25 and ABS. It was not an option and it did not come out until the KJ. From day one....if you had ABS you had the D35 in the rear. In the later years you could get the 8.25 with out ABS.

My 99 does not have ABS and has the 8.25 with LSD.

-Scott

My '98 has ABS and a Dana 35c if that helps clear the confusion about the rear end.

ChuckstrPT said:
I've never seen a Sport with anything but the one piece seats. And I really don't need Leather in a Limited, but I'm guessing that ALL Limiteds came with ABS??
Thanks in advanced!
All base and Sport models (97+) came with high back seats (no separate headrests). To get headrest you'll need a Classic or Limited and not all Limiteds come with leather. Not all Limiteds came with ABS either but they are tough to find.

JEEPZZ said:
All base and Sport models (97+) came with high back seats (no separate headrests). To get headrest you'll need a Classic or Limited and not all Limiteds come with leather. Not all Limiteds came with ABS either but they are tough to find.
Thanks for the info. That is pretty much what I was thinking. The Limiteds are pretty hard to come by period. And I actually haven't seen that many Classics. By far the most common is the Sport. Anybody have any production/sales numbers? It would be interesting to see.
Thanks again.

Oh crap, you would ask for that. I have it buried around here somewhere. I have Jeep factory XJ literature around here up the wazoo! I'm an XJ freak and currently own 3 of them. If I find it (doubtful) I'll post it back here; but the Sport was the most produced trim level.

When I built my last XJ, I wanted an all white Jeep (Limited or Classic). All the Limited I found were overpriced and all had ABS/D35. The Classics I found didn't have all the options I wanted or had ABS. I settled on a loaded white Sport without ABS and painted everything to match the Classic/Limiteds. Factory paint code mix into a rattle can, can do wonders.
before.JPG

DSC00523.JPG

Even the taped off grill and mirrors turned out great. (painted mirrors were never offered on ANY 97+)

Back