• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U Joint question

tnomud

NAXJA Forum User
I need to change my rear u-joints on my 96 XJ. Autozone has two different types listed for a 96...........

1. with outside lock rings
2. with inside lock rings

Which of these do I need?
If both will work, which is better?

Is this a "parking lot" job?

tnomud said:
I need to change my rear u-joints on my 96 XJ. Autozone has two different types listed for a 96...........

Outside lock rings. I don't think it's a parts store parking lot job.

tnomud said:

Don't take this the wrong way . . . but if you don't know what your u-joints look like, how do you know they need to be replaced?

1st time doing u-joints?? NO...deffinatly not a job to handle in the parking lot of Autozone.....however...it can be done in an apartment parking lot or something like that. When you buy the joints, ask for the "ball joint press" it will help allot.

Rev

What Rd (f.k.a. ArmStrong) said:
Don't take this the wrong way . . . but if you don't know what your u-joints look like, how do you know they need to be replaced?

I just drove from Cleveland to Atlanta and they are making a massive amount of noise. I was going to try to swap em out before I drive back. I know where they are and what they do, I just wasn't about to run down to the freezing hotel parking lot last night.

SO, basically, I unbolt the rear UJ at the rear end, pull of the TFC dust cover and slide out the driveshaft.

Once the clips are out, do the u-joints take some beating to remove?

It might be just as well to take it to PepBoys and let them do it. It can be done in a parking lot but honestly without either a press or a vice they can be a real PIA at times, especially if they're crusty and have been in there a long time.
Mike B.

1986xj said:
It might be just as well to take it to PepBoys and let them do it. It can be done in a parking lot but honestly without either a press or a vice they can be a real PIA at times, especially if they're crusty and have been in there a long time.
Mike B.

sounds like a parking lot job to me :moon:

Back