• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 XJ Wiring Questions.....

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Ok, so the radio is poping the dash light fuse. What wire is on that circuit? Also, when I cut my lights on the radio shuts off? Any thoughts? And when I shut the jeep offf the radio goes off but then comes back on? This is 94 wiring in a 84 body......

I haven't run into any radio problems on my 86 xj with a 92 wiring harness installed or my 84 scrambler with a 93 cherokee harness installed. I don't know if your 94 harness is different than my 93 but if they are the same the radio power should be on the violet and white wire which also goes to the cigarette lighter and on some models also goes to the radio/clock illumination relay. The dash light wire is orange and black. The illumination relay will tie the radio power line to the orange and black dash light wire or to the front park lamps, security alarm, and the chime module. The relay power comes from the light blue and red wire from the radio connector. I'm not sure why they have the illumination relay but it may be the source of your problems. Check to make sure you have the power hooked up correctly and the ground also. Hope any of this helps,
Dave

What about a older radio (Pioneer) instalation manual? 12 pin flat connector. Wire colores are: Blue, Red, Green, Green Black, Gray, Gray Black, Green Red, Black Green, Gray Red, Gray Black, Orange, and Black.

Dave is that 13 pin connector?

Yes It is the stock 13 pin connector. The wire colors I mentioned in the previous post were the colors of the wires in the dash harness. I looked in my wiring schematics at home and couldn't find a radio wiring diagram that had all of the wire colors you mention. Are these wire colors the dash harness or the radio plug wire colors. My shop manual starts XJ wiring diagrams at 89 so maybe the colors you are trying to match are from the older 84 ?
I could pull out the radio on my 86/92 wiring setup to map out the wire colors that it uses if that would help.
Dave

Those are the radio colors. I think I have it figured out though. It appears that the orange is constant and the red is the switched acc wire. But it still confuses me on the fact that when I use the tester none of the wire come on to 12V when the switch is turned on.

Back