• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buying an XJ, a few questions please!

Boston Mangler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys

I am going to be in the market for a new rig soon and i want to build an XJ. I have had and built many YJ's in the past and wheeled them well.

I am looking into building this XJ to use as a daily driver as well as a nice weekend trail rig seeing medium duty wheeling.

My questions arent about what tires will fit etc... as i have already figured all that out.

Here are my questions.

I like the pre 97 body style a little better then the newer one but i am looking of as low as mileage as possibly and a newer one might be the best best.

1- i see that some post 97's have 231's and others have 242's Which should i look for if i go with a newer one? I have ripped apart and rebuild a few 231's and actually like that tcase. WHat are the pros and cons here?

2- post 97 all have digital gauges right? are these pretty reliable or are the older ones better?

3- do the post 97 really have that much less opening in the wheel wells?

4- do all XJ's share the same unibody or are some years stronger?

5- anyone know how to get a york into a post 97?

6- I see that the front ARB bullbar is quite a bit more for the post 97's then for the older ones, why is that? I thought they were almost identical? anyone have pics of the 2?

7- i heard a few folks mention the post 97's are a little more cramped with less room, this true? i am 6'4" so this is important! :)

any other advice or info would be greatly appreciated! i want to make sure i buy the right rig with the right stuff!

thanks

No XJ has digital gauges. They are all analog, but the speedo went from mechanical to electronic in '91.

The 242 is the optional transfer case with the full-time option. The New Venture Gear web site shows it as having a slightly lower torque rating than the 231, but many of our members wheel 242s pretty hard and don't seem to have a problem. In New England, having the option to run in full-time on the road in bad weather is great. The downside is that any '96 or newer XJ (with either transfer case) will have vibration problems when lifted, and there are fewer SYE options available for the 242.

Chrysler claims the newer hydro-formed unibody is 40% stronger/stiffer than the original XJ. I think that change was made in '96 but it might have been in '97 with the sheet metal update.

Pick up a copy of March 2003, JP Magazine. They have an artical on the very question you are asking called, "How to buy a used Cherokee". You can contact them at 1-800-678-8012 or e-mail at [email protected]. The artical is very informative, gives you the break down on the different years. Good luck

The 97+ ARB bullbar may be higher due to being airbag compatible? I'm not sure though, and my 2002 ARB price list shows it only being around $35-50 more (net-list)

Many times the 242 full-time cases will show up in XJs that have lots of other options (such as the 'limited' and 'classic' models.) have had 3 XJs with 242s but I 'trust' the 231 more. full-time mode can be a convenience though for a DD that sees slippery winters.

Another plus(?) for the 97+ is that the rear hatch is made of metal on these (vs breakable fiberglass on the older ones)

Replacement body & trim parts are easier to find at salvage for the older ones...

HTH

Boston Mangler said:
Hey Guys

I am going to be in the market for a new rig soon and i want to build an XJ. I have had and built many YJ's in the past and wheeled them well.

I am looking into building this XJ to use as a daily driver as well as a nice weekend trail rig seeing medium duty wheeling.

My questions arent about what tires will fit etc... as i have already figured all that out.

Here are my questions.

I like the pre 97 body style a little better then the newer one but i am looking of as low as mileage as possibly and a newer one might be the best best.

1- i see that some post 97's have 231's and others have 242's Which should i look for if i go with a newer one? I have ripped apart and rebuild a few 231's and actually like that tcase. WHat are the pros and cons here?

2- post 97 all have digital gauges right? are these pretty reliable or are the older ones better?

3- do the post 97 really have that much less opening in the wheel wells?

4- do all XJ's share the same unibody or are some years stronger?

5- anyone know how to get a york into a post 97?

6- I see that the front ARB bullbar is quite a bit more for the post 97's then for the older ones, why is that? I thought they were almost identical? anyone have pics of the 2?

7- i heard a few folks mention the post 97's are a little more cramped with less room, this true? i am 6'4" so this is important! :)

any other advice or info would be greatly appreciated! i want to make sure i buy the right rig with the right stuff!

thanks

the 97+ ARB bull bars ARE nearly identical. the only difference is the length at which the newer ones extend into the wheel well. so go with the older one, it'll give you more tire clearance.

i'm pretty sure the bumper has nothing to do with airbag deployment on the xj's. i think there is some sort of sensor to measure decelleration. so... any of the bumpers offered for the xj should be "airbag compatible."

as far as comfort, i dont think theres too much of a difference in room or head clearance between the two. my ex-girlfriend had a '92 and i have a '99,
i think the only difference may come from thicker seat padding on the newer xjs. BUT, i am 6'1" and push the seat back to the last position, so leg room might be a little uncomfortable for you on longer trips.

as far as vibes when lifting xj's, its a crapshoot. most people would agree that '97+ models are more prone to vibes. i must have been one of those lucky bastards that never had to deal with them. my '97 had no vibes at nearly five inches of lift, but i didn't push my luck and got the JB sye when i went to 6.5".

if i were you, i would aim for a '97-'99. you'll get the lower mileage, the looks you prefer, etc. avoid the '00 and newer models, as i believe they came with low pinion axles.

good luck. and whatever you do, don't get sucked in.

Back