• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumping and banging

DDCxj

NAXJA Forum User
I got a '91 with 4.0, AW4, np231, and a D35 in the back. When I am up in the mountains I get a lot of banging coming from the drivetrain. This happens when I am climbing a steep hill (on the streets) or if my tires are spinning. I can feel something through the floor, almost like the t-case is coming up and hitting but I checked the motor and tranny mounts and they are fine. Any guesses? :confused:

my first thought is also motor/trans mounts... but you say no... what about your exhaust when the engine twists maybe thumping the body? i have a mystery bump under the drivers floor that im thinking is a control arm issue.. maybe a loose shock mount? what about the t/case linkage? it has a pivot attatchment under your seat.. maybe a worn bushing in it...
mike

There is a known issue with the T-Case linkage. You can purchase through the stealership a linkage kit that will tighten every thing up for ya.

fd1c31c8.gif

You can get the part number from this link..... :cheers:
http://www.universityofjeep.ca/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=434&highlight=tcase+linkage

My '91 does the same thing but mostly on a left turn and pitted roads.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be the linkage, I got tired of listening to the rattling and put that part in over the summer. Its almost lke the rear driveshaft is slapping the t-case (no sye), but it even does it on pretty smooth roads when climbing. kinda weird, I think I might just have to wait for whatever it is to snap.

Back