• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cylinder Head Freeze Plug.......

Glenn B

Member #69
NAXJA Member
I damned sure at least hope there is one on the very back... LOL. Otherwise there is a huge gaping hole in it. :)

What I need to know is the diameter of the freeze plug required. If anybody has one laying around, or has the measurement handy, I would appreciate it. 1990 4.0
Thanks
Glenn

Does this help?

plugs.JPG

Hey Rev, appreciate the time ya took to post that pict. Helpful when I get to the others that may need replacing later...... but at the moment I am looking at the rearward end of the Cyl Head. Got anything for that? :)
Thanks,
Glenn

Skitzo said:
think it's 2" - but call napa, they can look it up to be sure. get the rubber/expandable one for replacement too
I think it is 2in as well.... or 1 7/8ths. Hard to tell. Somebody here is bound to have a cyl head laying around....
Calling NAPA is worthless around here. They only have a couple kids working there.... not worth the time of a phone call.
Yes, going to do the rubber one for now..... hard to get a real one in correctly without yanking the head. :)
Glenn

I believe it'd be the 1 7/8" one. I got a set when I did my plugs in teh block, came with those (2"), one slightly smaller (1 7/*" I guess) and a couple of +/- 1" plugs for the rear of the block. Sucks though...them things aren't fun to change.

Whoops...you DID say head. I have a diagram of that also, and it shows a plug on the back of the head but does not show the size on that one.

Sorry,
Rev

GSequoia said:
I believe it'd be the 1 7/8" one. I got a set when I did my plugs in teh block, came with those (2"), one slightly smaller (1 7/*" I guess) and a couple of +/- 1" plugs for the rear of the block. Sucks though...them things aren't fun to change.
Yup, I know it aint fun...lol. Done them most of my life. The trick on this one is to do it with everything in place...not much room back there....LOL
Glenn

Rev Den said:
Whoops...you DID say head. I have a diagram of that also, and it shows a plug on the back of the head but does not show the size on that one.

Sorry,
Rev
No worries Rev. :) Like I said, I appreciate the effort in posting that image.
Glenn

Update..............

Well, it is a 2in hole in the back of the cyl head. Good thing I am not fat..... not sure how I would have got my hands and a rubber temp freeze plug in back there. lol. Not much room at all.

That hole is plugged, and does not leak. Now I am working on making my leaky engine block in to a non-leaky enging block. LOL

Then off to a buy a new rig I think. :confused:
Glenn

Back