• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX5 - doing something weird

1986xj

NAXJA Forum User
Occasionally when comming to a stop I'll push the clutch in and I'll have a metal to metal sound, sorta like the sound a completely shot set of brakes make when they are down metal to metal. Could it be something in the AX5 like something sticking? Maybe too heavy of a gear oil was used in it by the PO? Hopefully will get to drain and refill on friday, hopefully it isn't FUBAR by GL5 being put in it or something like that. Doesn't happen often and I can't duplicate the sound at will. But when it does I can release the clutch and there's nothing there in any gear until I come to a stop then all is well again and it won't happen again the rest of the day. :wierd: I've never seen anything like it before, the tranny is quiet, stays in gear, and shifts great. :dunno:
Mike B.

Hmmm... no one else has the same thing happen I guess? I'm going hunting for a FSM on ebay I guess and yanking it to take a gander inside.... maybe there's a snap ring or something in there busted that's letting a gear slide too far?
Mike B.

Is the metal to metal sound while pushing the clutch in or after? Is it a grinding sound or a scraping sound? I wonder if your throwout bearing is that you hear? As it disengages it slides on the input shaft of the tranny. Or the bearing starting to go and whining? However, you say nothing is there when you reengage the clutch after this noise? They tranny I just pulled out of my 84 would make a lound noise in first and it was jumping out of gear. When I would push the clutch back in it would jump back into gear.

Nothing changes it other than stopping, then it works fine again. Makes no sense. All I can figure is a snap ring or spacer is worn or broken and the whole cluster is somehow shifting forward since it only happens when stopping????
Mike B.

Hmmm, the cluster could be moving forward I guess. What gear are you in? Or does it do it in any of them? Could it be the range fork? Let me see if I understand this right. When you push the clutch in it will not go, but if you push it in again it will engage and then go? At what point is the sound? Deatails man we need details!

Any gear, no go in any gears while making the noise, stop and so does the noise, once stopped all is fine again and everything shifts and works fine with no noises at all. Weird huh.
Mike B.

Drained it today and out came a roll pin, only place roll pins are used are in the shift linkage so I think I've got it figured out now.... makes sense sorta. Once I got over to my garage I looked in the Haynes and to my suprise they actually had some really good diagrams for the AX5. I decided to let someone else deal with it as I got too much other junk that needs worked on now to tie up the garage while I try to figure it out myself.... all the other stuff that needs fixed is more suited to my skill & patience level :eyes:
Mike B.

Sure it was a roll pin? I would think it was a neddle from a neddle bearing! The input sgaft rides on neddle bearings and are easy to change.

Nope, definitely a roll pin... Still not sure how it could have come out and be floating around in there though. I suppose the forks fit pretty snugly on the shafts and maybe just decided to start slipping around or the PO knew and it just "slipped" his mind to mention it to me. Not for sure of it's history though, might have never been put in and was dropped in there during a previous rebuild in the past, at 265,000 miles I have to assume it had been apart sometime considering how tight it is and how well it shifts other than this little issue. The fluid actually looked decent, pretty clean, not milky and and no metal in it other than the one lone roll pin.
Mike B.

The tcase was missing a snap ring, letting everything shift forward. My buddy who's shop it is at told me that he had seen NP cases from dodges where something sorta the same had happened but never had seen one act quite like this so we opened up the tcase 1st. Everything else in there looked like new like it had a recent rebuild. Hope that's it, waiting on a part or 2 but should be back together early next week and we'll see then.... that roll pin outa the tranny still bugs me though.
Mike B.

Got it back today, snap ring, thrust washer, and shift fork pads in tcase replaced. Seems to have solved the mystery, problem seems to now be gone.... as for the roll pin, decided to assume it was dropped in there accidentally during a previous rebuild and wasn't actually left out.
Mike B.

Back