• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 YJ Engine 2.5L......

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Stumbled across this today and am probably going to get it. :) It is complete with the computer and wore harness for $400.00. I know I'll need the fuel tank and lines from a FI xj. But what about the flywheel and clutch? Is there a isuue there? I know my tranny wil bolt up but were the clutches or flywheels changed over the years? Is there anything I'm missing? :)

You need to get Eagle's attention.

To my knowledge there were no changes made to the clutch or there attached parts.

It shouldn't matter anyway. Use your bell housing, flywheel, and clutch. If the bolt pattern fits use it.

Oops! You will probably have to find a bell housing and flywheel off of an F/I model because of the crank sensor. Don't 4 poppers have the crank sensor in the same place as the six's?

Hmmm... Now that is something I did not think about! Anyone or anything else I did not think about? Wounder if I could drmel a place for it?

I have to pull a body lift (yuk!) off a '94 Wrangler with a 4 popper this weekend.

I'll look it over.

Yeah, the '94 engine needs an HO-style CPS to mate with the computer injection and ignition. Is the "new" engine out of a standard or an automatic? If automatic, you will need a flywheel. If you are very careful and skilled you might be able to cut an opening for the CPS in your '84 bell housing -- I know at least one guy on the Stroker's group did it -- but the positioning has to be very precide, both vertically and laterally. T'would be much, much better to find a bell housing already set up for the CPS.

One off-the-wall possibility: HESCO sells kits for the early 6-cylinder Wrangler engines to convert to EFI, and they use a bracket that mounts the CPS to the front of the engine, and a special harmonic balancer that's drilled with trigger indentations. I have never seen a reference to it, but you might check with them to see if they offer a similar damper to front-mount a CPS on the 4-cyl.

Since Ghost made me think, I broke my probation and went out in the garage and looked.

I wouldn't mess with cutting a hole for the CPS. Either find a bell housing and fly wheel off an F/I model ('91 and newer?) or try Hesco.

It appears everything on the front of the 4 popper block is the same as the six. I don't see why the hesco kit wouldn't work and it might save you some trouble with the clutch.

I would look into the slave cylinder design closely if you get a new bell housing. It's been years since I've looked at one, but it looks like they changed that part of it at some point. Internal vs. External slave?

Well it is a 5 speed 4 pooper. So I would think the flywheel is on it. Does the CPS attatch to the block or the bellhousing?

Just answered my own question.... Haynes is good for something afterall besides a drink coaster!

Back