• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 Mode Fork

Biovore

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if anyone knows what difference, if any,there might be between the "Mode Fork" in the 231 in my '92 XJ and one from an '87-'93 YJ.
Mine is broken on one end (found out while replacing the chain) and I found the YJ one new very cheap. Its listed as a YJ part, but I was hoping they might be the same.

i just got done taking all the parts out of an xj case and putting them into a yj case. everything works as long as they are both 231 J's

Also Chevrolet used a 231. The case is diffrent and main shaft however the if you can find a 231HD out of a S-10 its got the widder chain and gears.

Make sure you install the mode sleeve in the correct position- It can be installed backwards and will allow you to complete install and drive around but will not let you shift easily and it will pop out of low range. Oops, it happened to me. :doh:

willysnut said:
Make sure you install the mode sleeve in the correct position- It can be installed backwards and will allow you to complete install and drive around but will not let you shift easily and it will pop out of low range. Oops, it happened to me. :doh:

lol ill bet you were pissed when you had to take it off again

Back