• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing motor mounts......

BajaXJ92

NAXJA Forum User
I'm guessing its as easy as slipping a floor jack underneath the oil pan? That wont dent or collapse the oil pan will it? Mine are in bad need of replacing...

-Adam

Put a piece of wood between the jack and the oil pan .

I can't say if 1 jack will dent the pan or not since I've not actually tried. If you are concerned that it might, try two jacks at different points. This will reduce the force each must place against the motor to hold it while the mounts are swapped out.

Do you think you can get the driver side mount swapped without pulling the manifolds? Are there different suppliers of mounts that provide different quality?

Mike

I used a floor jack, 2x4 and a towel for padding...my oil pan was not injuried.

I have done 2 sets, both Rustys on an 88 MJ and my 91 XJ. Did not remove the manifold (although it may have made the job easier) but the drives side is certainly the harder one.

Rustys mounts seem very strong but they are pretty stiff when first installed. They have been better with the automatic, a little harsh with the 5-speed. BTW I had to trim the bushing on the driver side both times, it was a little to wide.

Currie makes aftermarket mounts as well I believe they even offer 1" taller mounts to help the driveline angle of lifted XJs.

When you replace motor mounts only do one side at a time. Also put your jack under the bell housing NOT the oil pan. I asked my dealer mechanic about changing mounts and he said you can damage the oil pan.

Also I recommend you jack up the vehicle, remove the front tires and put the chassis on jackstands before you start the job. Let the axle drop to the bottom of it's travel. If you don't do this then you will have to jack the whole vehicle before the engine begins to lift. I learned this lesson the hard way, no need for you paying that tuition since I already did!

Also if you are replacing the engine mounts you need to replace the transmission mount at the same time. They wear together and if you replace some you will accelerate the failure of the old one remaining.

Ive changed many mounts, the way Ive done it is to place a 2x4 vertically so that one end is on the jack the other is on the edge of the oil pan (where the bolts are), where it meets the block, then I remove the mount. I do this one side at a time.

XJguy

I have a 1990 XJ. I just jacked up the oil pan with a 2x4 between. The jeep will go up becuase your taking the weight of the engine off of it, not becuase your jacking up the car. On the pass. side I hade to loosen the oil filter adapter and turn it out of the way to get the big bolt out. The driver side was easy. I just had to take out the air box to get to it.

Back