• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 in front an original Rear?

rtaboada

NAXJA Forum User
hello I have xj 1988 4,0, sold me with dana 44 front and original rear, therefore single when I put R it is an TANK, I put D and is a turtle, that I do please.........

could you find another dana 44 for the rear? thats what you should do. get a dana 44, ford 9", or ford 8.8" for the rear. it would be atank both ways.:)

D44's weren't offered from the factory in the front, only the rear on the 87 model (and rumor has it a very small amount of early production '88's). The factory front axle for all 4X4 XJ's is the D30...

...Although somebody could have put a D44 up front and not had the money to put it in the rear.

The factory rear axle for you is the Dana 35 non C-Clip.

Sequoia

"D44's weren't offered from the factory in the front, only the rear on the 87 model (and rumor has it a very small amount of early production '88's). The factory front axle for all 4X4 XJ's is the D30..."

Hey Sequoiaboy.....

did you see where this Jeeper is from?

down there, yes, they DID come with 44's.

spanking machine for you!

I think I need a translation. Are we talking about tanks or XJ's?

Rtaboada, if you are concerned with the weight of your rig, please send the front Dana 44 to my friend here in the states, he is in need of a stouter front axle. I'm sure if you cover shipping, he will happily take it off your hands.

CRASH

Ahh...didn't see that location. How come they get the better axles!

And you seem to really like spanking people Beezil, have you ever thought of talking to somebody about that?

I saw a shrink once about it. I was just sitting there talking about my life, and then all of the sudden I saw a bright flash of light, and the next thing you know I had the doctor over my knee, and I started spanking the living hell outta him, and then some interns grabbed me and gave me a shot of something, and then I felt the jacket go on.......kinda strange.

Sorry for the OT, but anyone know a good source to get these axles?

I through this out to "Mike from Chile" last month.I was hoping he might hook us up with a junk yard there.

D44's weren't offered from the factory in the front, only the rear on the 87 model (and rumor has it a very small amount of early production '88's)

actually guys they where an option from 1987 to 1989...on the cherokee and 1987 to 1990 on the comanche.....I got my comanche 44 on am 89 with the metric ton conversion...I also got the d44 that I ran in my xj from an 89 cherokee owned by BLM...govt vehicles quite often where ordered with the heavier package.

XJRockcrawler said:
Sorry for the OT, but anyone know a good source to get these axles?
Currie imports them and sells them here in the US. They got the UCA casting right on the high pinion pumpkin.
I've got one in the works to match my D44 rear. It's gonna have to wait until after Easter though.

Any body got a 'spanking smilie' for Beez?

Whats the specs on them? I didn't know they were HP, do they use dana 30 ball joints and brakes like the rubicon, also are they vac disco or do they have hubs?

The outers are the same as the D30 and D44 Rubi. I don't know if the brakes are bigger but I doubt they are since everything else is the same.
There is no vacuum disco and no manual hubs.

I'll tell ya this, If I was trying to get away from the dana 30, I'd be wanting to get away fromt he balljoints and hubs especially.....

no point in a 44 with 30 knuckles....

(that was for you mcgyver)

xjnation/ me in disguse???

Xjnation,

Somehow we ended up in the same situation.

My MJ is an 88 Metric ton with the 44

My XJ is an 88, from a City fleet, with the 44 in it.

Damn, I thought I was the only one who stuck gold twice.

Back