• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tubing bender die radius

LT1XJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am looking at getting a tubing bender. I was looking at the 1 3/4 dies, JD2 doesn't sell 90's anymore and suggests 180's, what would be the best radius to go with I was thinking 5.5. Any suggestions?
Dustin:confused:

Agree with One Ton. 5.5 " is all you need.

I could never see the 90 degree die being useful when the 180 does it all and more.

Thanks for the help. I ordered the 180 5.5. JD2 said they stopped carrying the 90's because it was a waste. Now I am going to end up with even more projects going, not to mention even less money. Besides 1 3/4 what does everyone use for other stuff. I was thinking down the road I might pick up a 1.5 die also.
Dustin

You might wanna wait until you NEED the 1.5...

the one you just got is an excellent diameter/radius, you made a good choice.

My rollcage is a blend of both 1.5 and 1.75, but if I only had ONE die, I probably would have gone with 1.75........or maybe 1.5...who the hell knows?

stick with what you have and make it work for your projects, until a design limitation ABSOLUTLY calls for something else.

post pics along the way.

I'm doing a cage for an s-10 in a couple weeks. The guy is buying the 1.5" die for me. All I'm doin' is a main hoop and a couple of side bars. He's one of you screwy windy city types. Says he just wants something to pose with.

Sean

OneTonXJ said:
I'm doing a cage for an s-10 in a couple weeks. The guy is buying the 1.5" die for me.
Sean

I guess it's ok to work on an s-10 if you're getting to keep the die!

Mark
orgs mfg

One little trick that I've had good luck with is to make shims for bigger dies to bend smaller tubing. You bend a piece of tubing that measures the difference in thickness between the die you have & the tubing you want to bend. Cut this in half length wise & you have the shim for the radius side. Cut a straight piece in half length wise & you have the other shim. Stick them in your die & bend the tubing size you desire. Yes it's a little more cumbersome than having the right sized die, but it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a die you won't use often.

Matt

Who makes the JD2 (search showed nothing). I'm about to buy the M-Tech and would like another option. Anyone tried the M-tech

I also think the 1 3/4" is the perfect choice if you only get one die.

Another thing to consider is the bend radius. A tighter bend like 5 1/2" might look nicer, but a larger radius will be stronger. It spreads the corner loads out and stretches the outer part of the tubing less.

Less stretch = thicker wall = stronger

I disagree with Max.

I think if you are gonna die in a rollover WITH A CAGE, you better make sure you look cool doing it.

go with the nicer looking radius die.

I don't think that there is really anything to worry about with the wall stretch. As a portion of you have seen me test my cage out thouroghly, the only thing that has bent is the angled down door bar. I've had the thing completely bound up against walls/ trees/ etc. and people have told me that there was absolutely no flex in the cage. Take it for what it's worth folks.

Sean

Back