• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to buy?

DaveD in Canada

NAXJA Forum User
My '90 XJ Limited is getting a bit tired. 245000km, starting to exhibit some piston slap. I am thinking of looking for a newer (1998-2001) XJ, and would like to know if these ride any better, and are any more comfortable than the older ones? The '90 rides like a buckboard, as did the previous 2 XJ's I owned. Any feedback would be most welcome.
Dave

DaveD in Canada said:
My '90 XJ Limited is getting a bit tired. 245000km, starting to exhibit some piston slap. I am thinking of looking for a newer (1998-2001) XJ, and would like to know if these ride any better, and are any more comfortable than the older ones? The '90 rides like a buckboard, as did the previous 2 XJ's I owned. Any feedback would be most welcome.
Dave

Well I have a '88 and a '98. Neither rides like a Ford Explorer, but then again I actually use my four wheel drive so I wouldn't want anything else. As far as ride, they seem about the same to me. My '98 has a much better seat which seems to soak up some bumps here and there.

Burley

i have an 87 and a 99.... as far as driver comfort the 99 has it all the way.. for EASE of driving the 87 is by far easier to drive.. lighter steering input... actually "feels" lighter but i think its got to do with the steering.. there were changes made in the 2000 model year.. a distributorless ignition was the biggest i can think of.. there was also a change made to the trany crossmamber and trans mount for some reason (this has been known to interfere with aftermarket skidplates and such.. but it is easily corrected) buy the newest XJ you can and look for one with the things you want... good luck!!
mike

I must say I to have an '87 and a '00. I drive the '87 most of the time and when I get in the '00 it feels almost like there is no power steering.

Kenny

Back