• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 xfer case swap?

Tampa_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys putting a new 231 in my friends 88 xj and just curious how involved its going to be. On every other truck I've done it usually takes about 2hrs and its a few crossmember bolts and some tranny bolts...and of course removing drive shafts...is this the case or am i getting myself into a nightmare???

IIRC 4 Crossmember bolts, 6 tcase bolts (get a 9/16th gear wrench), and the driveshaft bolts. Strap bolts are 8mm I believe and the bolts on the front DC joint are 5/16th maybe?. Get a gear wrench there too! HTH.

I am the friend whose case tampa xj is helping me swap,

I was wondering, on the 231 we are swaping in, the vacuum switch is on the case, not on the tail housing, also, the old case has a large round plug for the speed cable, and this new 231s hole is too small for that plug, what does this mean, also, it has a long input gear, is this the correct one for an 89 xj with aw4 auto tranny?

Thanks,

--Russ

As for the input the only way to tell is to pull your current case and check. From 87-91 or so the 231 could have 21 or 23 spline inputs. In 91 or so the 231 got 23 splines behind the AW-4. HTH. What year case did you get? The cases changed some in the early years.

im not sure what year it is, i only know that the hole for the speedo gear is smaller, and that the vacuum switch is on a different part of the case

In an '88 with AW-4, AX-4, or AX-5 it should be short input 21 spline. If it's a pre 1995 AX-15 or post 1990 AW-4 it's a short input 23 spline.

They have a table with explanations and pictures here:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/np231.htm

I used this info to help me find a case at the U-pull since I didn't want to take apart mine to count the splines or length of input.

HTH,

Mark

Back