• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what happened to my "your lights are on moron" tone?

tom from boston

NAXJA Forum User
Don't Jeeps have these? I keep leaving my lights on (that goodness the Optima lasts a LOOOOOONG time). Other than a post it, on my forehead reminding me to check, it would be nice if the car beeped, toned, rang, farted or whatever when the lights were left on. Yes, I need some sort of an idiot light/tone.
Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Tom

On the '91, it's a plug-in module(blue?) -- into top of the fuse panel. My chime module pops-out all the time.

89xj said:
does the radio work when the lights arn't on in the daytime?

Yeah but some times if I turn off the lights it will shut off for a second or two. It will stay on when I turn the key off untill I push in the cig lighter or turn anything on. but if my lights are on it won't turn off till they are off.

It was a flaw in the wiring of my radio not something I tried to do. My Acc. wire for the radio wasn't working so I spliced into the back light for the clock instead.

The chime works fine in my 93 and I also installed an aftermarket CD player which will stay on if my lights are on as well, it still works without the lights on.

there was a "cheap fix" article in four wheeler mag a while back about the same thing. this guy left one of those big black binder clips on his visor, and everytime he used his headlights, he put the clip on his keys to remind him to turn off the lights when he shut off his truck.

Yeah I had one of these buzzing tones on my 94 (annoying as hell when opening doors). I found it so annoying that I searched long and hard and located it on the fuse box, however after draining my batteries a few times b/c of lights I wish i hadn't.

However, i sold that jeep and got this 96 that doesn't have one at all. Either the previous owner did the same as I or 96 really is just one messed up year for xj's.

My 96 had one. I got rid of it, because it also sounded the chime when the doors were open. When doing yard work ect. and listening to the radio it got really annoying.

yep i think i ripped mine out the day i bought it

Mine was even better, it decided to stay on ALL THE TIME! Driving, sitting, anything as long as the key was in, I ripped it out and am looking for the culprit as to why it did that. Yup, still looking but buzzer free! :)

That is the first thing I rip out of my vehicles!

I hate those things, The last two GM trucks I have traded in have had the stupid module in the front door pocket.

Jeremyvnc said:
Yeah I had one of these buzzing tones on my 94 (annoying as hell when opening doors). I found it so annoying that I searched long and hard and located it on the fuse box, however after draining my batteries a few times b/c of lights I wish i hadn't.

However, i sold that jeep and got this 96 that doesn't have one at all. Either the previous owner did the same as I or 96 really is just one messed up year for xj's.

ExCUUUUUSE ME!! '96 is a glorious year for XJs--best, along w/the '99, of all years, according to Jp mag. My incomparable '96 has a wonderfully annoying buzzer (for which AAA should be eternally grateful).

All you buzzer-removers sure have better memories than I do. (And if I want to listen to Rush while working in the yard, Illxj, I roll the windows down &/or leave the back passenger doors open.)

I have an 88 and have not riped out any buzzer hardware and have no buzz. I forget all the time and would not mind having a buzzing noise when the lights are on and the key is out.

Curtis

There's a module attached to the left side of the fuse block that functions as a warning buzzer, but there are two different ones. The black colored module is only a "keys in ign" buzzer, but the blue one is for both keys in and headlights on. You can get a new module from the stealership if yours is bad (or if you have the black one), but they're easy to grab out of a junkyard for a buck or two. Kind of a pain getting in and out because there's a tab clip on the outside of it that secures it that's hard to get to, especially if you're fat-fingered. I've got the part #'s somewhere for both of them (they're only one digit different). I'll post them if I find them.
HTH,
Jeff

Back