• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 v6 to a 87 straight 6- Doable?

Codeman

NAXJA Forum User
Hey there! I'm new to this site!
I have a black 94 xj, mostly stock(for a little while) Here is my question- sorry if it sounds a bit novice- I have an 86 xj with a blown v6 engine, and an 87 that has been rolled with a perfectly good I6. I was wondering if anyone knows how hard it would be to switch the I6 into the 86 - is it just bolt up, or do I have to pull the whole dash and electrical, hoses, etc? Also, are there more than 1 type of v6 made for jeeps- and if so, does that make a difference?
I think all xjs are unibody, but if not.... would it just be easier to switch bodys? I've got some very experienced and knowledgeable friends helping me, and I need an answer as soon as possible- thanks a ton to any and all!!!!

CODEMAN!!

XJ's have been unibody vehicles since inception - that was one of the big "selling points" of the XJ. That's also part of why it weighs less than comparable box-and-frame vehicles.

It is doable to put the I6 into the 84-86XJ, but you are letting yourself in for a batch of work. When the I6 came out for the 1987MY, the front clip was lengthened a bit to allow for the longer I6 block. You've got a batch of sheetmetal work to do to fit the I6 - some digging around here can net you some details. I know a few here have done the swap, so it's not impossible.

Easier, tho, would be to get a RWD 3.1 out of an S10 or an F-body, and use that - or find yourself a RWD 3.4 and use that. Both are based on the 2.8L V6-60 block, and will drop straight in (mechanically) - and you can add PFI while you're at it. If you are anywhere that is emission controlled (like CA) this will be an easier swap since the 3.1 and 3.4 can look like the 2.8 - and going from the Weber to an FI setup is usually an easy mod to get past the referee.

There was only one V6 used in the XJ from the factory - the GM 2.8" V6-60-degree block. It was later ditched (wisely, I think) in favour of the 242CI I6. For a 2.8 to come off the factory floor in good working order with no leaks was rare, and longevity was also an issue (there are, of course, exceptions. Generally, getting a good 2.8 requires a ton of work, and I don't work on them if I don't have to!)

Using another V6 will also save you the work you'll have to do as far as transmission (the I6 and V6 do NOT share bolt patterns!) driveline (to account for the longer block) and mounts (WAY different!) You might also want to consider going with a decent SBChevvy - Advance Adapters makes a kit to make the mounts work, and SBChevvy bolt pattern running gear is easier to find. Of course, I'd also consider at least a rear axle swap while I was at it... Something else not strictly necessary with the V6-V6 swap.

5-90

The 84-86 has a little less engine compartment room than the 87 up. It's doable but IMO it is too much work when you can buy a 87-90 or so XJ with a shot engine but decent body and interior for so little.
GM made a specific 3.4 crate motor just to replace the 2.8's, called the 3.4 HT and it was smog legal using all the external stuff off of the 2.8.... you can just find a 93-94 camaro or firebird 3.4 though and just swap everything off of your 2.8 onto it and you'll be good to go if you don't want to tackle the hassle of setting everything up for the FI. If you do a search there has been a few good threads here about this swap. I can dig up some links for you if you are interested. Here's one to get you started - http://home.earthlink.net/~jeepcherokee1/Project XJ/Project XJ.htm
Mike B.

I did the swap in my 86. I put in the engine and drive train from a wrecked 92. The swap is a LOT of work. You have to modify the front clip, the firewall, the entire electrical system, gas tank, hood, move the transfer case crossmember and change driveline lengths. The transmission will not bolt up. It took me about a month of late nights to do the swap. I have been very pleased with the results but if I had it to do over again I would buy a newer one and fix it up instead.
Dave

If you have the front clip in good shape from the rolled vehicle then you have everything you need to make it work. If not then a trip to the junkyard to get it is all you'll need. Is it a lot of work, yes. Is it doable, very. The best route is to swap the whole drivetrain in. Engine, tranny, xfer case. The wiring harness is a pain but all you need is patience and a soldering iron. Check with Old_Man as he swapped one into his '85 and it drives great!

Wow! thanx a lot guys!!

I think I'm going to see if I can trade the rolled 87 for a v6 from an s10 at a boneyard, and do the swap from there. The I6/v6 swap sounds like to much time to invest. I am really just doing the swap to sell the vehicles. I am buying them off a guy and he wants $1000 for both, maybe I can talk him down to around 7-8. The reason for buying them is that the rolled 87 has a 3 in lift and some new 31" bfg at's, custon rear bumper, front grill gaurd, confer roof rack, and a few other goodies. I am a high school student ( who is low on the flow), and so if I can get the 2 jeeps for a little, and get my money+ some parts out of the deal, I think it may be worth it. what do you think?
Thanks again!
CODEMAN

S10's will either have either a 2.8 or a 4.3 in them.... 4.3 isn't a straight in swap it uses the SBC bellhousing bolt pattern, and pretty much any 2.8 in a junkyard is there because that's where it belongs. 93-95 Camaros & Firebirds will have the 3.4 and there are lots of those in the junkyards that were totaled long before much mileage was ever put on them by punk ass high school teenagers who were hot rodding around :clap: :clap: :clap: :wave: :wave:
Once you find one and work out a deal for one ask away with the questions and I'll try and help you steer clear of the mistakes that the shop that did the swap in mine for the PO (I've just about got their mess cleaned up finnally)
HTH,
Mike B.

IMHO $1000 for 2 parts rigs is a bit steep.... rolled XJ regardless of a lift or not isnt worth much at all.... neither is an 86 with a nuked V6.... talk him down to maybe 1/2 of the price ... there is no doudt that the guy who is selling them wants them gone... if he wont come waaaaaaay down just walk away..... good luck
mike

sidriptide said:
IMHO $1000 for 2 parts rigs is a bit steep.... rolled XJ regardless of a lift or not isnt worth much at all.... neither is an 86 with a nuked V6.... talk him down to maybe 1/2 of the price ... there is no doudt that the guy who is selling them wants them gone... if he wont come waaaaaaay down just walk away..... good luck
mike

I'm talkin to him today- I also have two buddies that decided they want whats left of them for trail rigs, and thats without me doing any swapping- so I should come out pretty good.
But yeah, the more I can get him down the better- I'm gonna start him at 3-400 adn see what happens. I have to tow them 40 miles anyway.
thanks fellla's!!
CODEMAN

Back