• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 4.0l low/poor idle

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Jeep has been running fine, until I burped the cooling sys. (Engine at oper. temp)

When I restarted it, immediately poor idle (4-500 rpm) It stays running, and drives basically fine - no stumbles or miss, just under coast or at idle it is poor off. Noticed some fresh black soot on the ground below the tailpipe.

The filters & such are recent/fresh, as are the plugs & wires (-+5k)

I did manage to spill some coolant on the relay bank & coil, but I think I chased it all down with some WD40.

Anyone got any advice? would a bum O2 suddenly set this condition off?

woody said:
I did manage to spill some coolant on the relay bank & coil, but I think I chased it all down with some WD40.
pull the coil off the ICM and clean the connections with electrical contact cleaner, same thing happened to me when my upper rad hose let loose. ended up replacing a bunch of stuff that didn't need replaced.

and WD40 is not contact cleaner.

When you changed your coolant were you anywhere near your map sensor vacuum line? You could have accidently broke it or cracked it. I hit mine(broke it) and had the same problem. Just something to look at...

"When you changed your coolant were you anywhere near your map sensor vacuum line? You could have accidently broke it or cracked it."

Yes I was & yes I did :D

BTW that makes for VERY POOR fuel mileage.

Back