• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tune up. What to look for?

540ismiley

NAXJA Forum User
My 97 xj 4.0 auto. is hitting 114k. it is time for a oil change. I was just wondering if there is anything else I need to watch out for.

i have had for 6 months. this time arround I was going to get the radiator flushed, tranny flushed, oil change. if you have anything to add please do.
thanks
josh
1997 XJ
4.0 auto White
OME lift

I wouldn't expect much to be wrong at 114K. Mine did need a water pump at about that age, and you might want to inspect the serpentine belt, pulleys and water pump for signs of looseness. Don't worry about little cracks on the grooved side of the belt, but look for glazing, fraying, etc. While being extra careful not to get entangled, check it while running to make sure the engine crankshaft pulley (harmonic balancer) is not wobbling. The rubber in this sometimes deteriorates.

I'd also crawl around under it and check the steering and drivetrain for problems, especially the front axle u-joints, and of course you should do a chassis lube too. Don't neglect those top ball joints!

Some tranny experts recommend against the full flush for a transmission that is working well, because it seems to stir up more trouble than it fixes. That's your choice of course, but if it were mine (and if the fluid looks good) I'd leave it alone, or at most pull the pan and do the screen and the partial oil change that goes with it.

The advice Matthew gave you is very good. As with any used vehicle where you don't have vehicle records it always wise to pull all the maintenance so you know it done to your standard.

The best place to look for maintenance required is the owner's manual. I hope you got one of those. Read through and do every thing that should of done by your current mileage. Then can base all you maintenance of 114K as you new "zero" point.

Catch up on the owner's manual maitenance then you can start replacing all those items that time/mileage have consumed and not listed in the owner's manual.

If you don't have a owners manual then order one from Techauthority on line, just do a google search. Also buy the maintenance manuals from Techauthority if you plan on keeping it. Techauthority is chrysler's tech publication division

might also want to check the motor and tranny mounts. mine's just under 100k and i have a hunch my motor mounts are on the way out just haven't had time to check. you also may want to clean any corrosion from the battery/cable terminals and put some grease on them to prevent further corrosion. don't forget the air filter either. may want to even clean the throttle body.

sorry for so much, just throwing everything out there.

p.s. don't forget the fuel filter and brakes.

I don't think the fuel filter on the XJ is servicable. I believe it is built into the fuel pump. This may not be true for all years though...

Someone please correct me if this is not right - I'm not 100% sure on it.

Drewlee77 said:
I don't think the fuel filter on the XJ is servicable. I believe it is built into the fuel pump. This may not be true for all years though...

Someone please correct me if this is not right - I'm not 100% sure on it.
On my '89, I replaced it. it's back by the gas tank. Wasn't that hard, but I had it on a lift, but not part of the fuel pump itself, no. Did a search, and the 99's (dunno about 97's) the gas tank has to be lowered, to reach the filter/pump..so that doesn't look like a lot of fun, no. My xj had 156k on it, and the filter did need to be changed, though.

Last edited:
'97+ XJ's have an in tank fuel filter. my '96 and all others before it have a filter just inside the 'frame rail' on the drivers side just in front of the rear tire.

i just saw you have a '97 so i guess you can scratch that off the list.

You should also just get under there and take a good look around for anything out of the ordinary, like wet spots where oil could be leaking from but not enough to leave a puddle, any hoses or wiring that the original plastic holders might have rotted away. I was under my 94 the other day and discovered a rust hole in the floorpan right around the gas filler hose I had never noticed before. I hate suprises like that.

Back