• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

snorkel

doaxj

NAXJA Forum User
ive seen a ton of snorkels on xjs running around. i didnt think of messing with one till i sank my xj and had a few head aches getting it running again. ive seen as easy as dryer vent up to something like the arb.anyone have any methods they used that didnt cost a billion dollars? thanks dustin

doaxj said:
ive seen a ton of snorkels on xjs running around. i didnt think of messing with one till i sank my xj and had a few head aches getting it running again. ive seen as easy as dryer vent up to something like the arb.anyone have any methods they used that didnt cost a billion dollars? thanks dustin

Mine was about 75$ but 35$ of that was the ARB/safari head - the rest is just building stuff...

Works great - though chopping a big hole int he hood is not for everyone...

Matt

Underhood:

underhood1.jpg

From the outside:
chop19.jpg

"Mine was about 75$ but 35$ of that was the ARB/safari head - the rest is just building stuff...

Works great - though chopping a big hole int he hood is not for everyone..."

Matt

I can see why, if I did that I would have a hell of a time waxing the hood of my Jeep with my polisher......

GQ

There are cool custom set ups ive seen

But if your worried about f'n up your rig I would go w/ an ARB unit

Its well laid out, comes w/ a nice template so you dont cut in the wrong location etc. My only gripe is how the tube runs in the inner fender....if you want to trim in the future it will be hard to do.

The ARB is only $235 or something like that if you hunt around....unless you got stuff laying around your still going to be in for close to $100 in supplies , if you want something that looks good too?!

Chewy

PS: while it will help your motor run cooler, and prevent a hydro lock , how many other things will get fried from being dunked in H2o? lots of stuff goes wrong when you go swimming in an xj , a snorkel is not going to stop your PCM, TPS, IAC, Alt. and relays from getting screwed up.... not to mention what water and grit will do to unit bearings etc

thanks guys the other water stuff is already being addressed. i was just wanted some funtional snorkel ideas. im already heavily trimmed and dont givea $&%^ about cutting holes in it lol. just wanted some ideas that dont look to horrible but are funtional. the arb will not work for me. im trimmed up to the body line already. matt do you mind sneding me a list of parts used and maybe a little direction? thanks [email protected]

doaxj said:
thanks guys the other water stuff is already being addressed. i was just wanted some funtional snorkel ideas. im already heavily trimmed and dont givea $&%^ about cutting holes in it lol. just wanted some ideas that dont look to horrible but are funtional. the arb will not work for me. im trimmed up to the body line already. matt do you mind sneding me a list of parts used and maybe a little direction? thanks [email protected]
If you are trimmed up to the guard line you can still run a Airflow snorkel as shown here. www.go.jeep-xj.info

Kensnorkel.jpg

My parts list...

3.5" ARB Safari Snorkle head
6" gasketed PVC bell endcap
6" Slip fit plug cap to mate with the bell
3" 45 degree drain / waste / vent ABS fitting (slip)
3" ABS pipe - 2 or 3 ft
3" Rubber elbow and hose clamps
3" 45 degree slip to street (ABS) fitting
2" Rubber coupler to mate with prexisting air tube
Rubber sheet for gasket material
3" inlet K&N filter (round w/ offset inlet)(came with the airtube)

All the rest is steel and hardware:

Misc light gauge steel to build an airbox... some tube some sheet

1/8" thick plate for the hood plate ~15" x 20"

Small hinges to secure to the drip well and set the angle of the hood plate

Prop rod - two clevis ends and some all thread to support the hood plate

Beyond that it is a matter if fitting and adapting your design to the specific vehicle - hood clearence is a big concern as are the AC fittings in the firewall on the pass side....

I wanted to keep it off the fender as I tend to rub a bit from time to time...

Matt

Rufies97XJ said:
hey D...
Even with the snorkle.. ya still gotta stay outta them deep puddles!!
:wave:

If you waterproof the other important stuff there is no reason you cannot go deep - I have had water over the hood and up the the bottoms of the seats inside before I got back to terra firma...

Pull the drain plugs and wash it out and I was no worse for the wear (fuses even got wet... )

Matt

Has anyone installed a side-type snorkel with trimmed flares and a lift?
-Pix-

TIA

get some black abs pipe from a hardware store and run the snorkel out of your airbox, along the outside top of the fender, and up that a pillar. I have a buddy who runs that setup on his 4-runner, and it looks badass. It's what I'm going to do very soon on my heavily trimmed xj.

Back