• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wrangler brake lines for a lifted XJ?

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got the part numbers and such from a guy here on the board, but a fellow club member of mine has an 88 XJ and he says the Wrangler lines though longer, are not long enough for 4.5 inches of lift on an XJ. He says with merely a 3 inch lift the flex was stretching his Wrangler lines way too much.

Does it vary with the year? Mine is a 91, should I still buy them or go with some extentions?

I had wrangler lines on my MJ front (Dakota on the rear) and at 5.5" they were fine. I remember for some reason I got two of one side though (2 rights, or 2 lefts, don't remember). I would fully extend 11 inch travel shocks and they would just start to get tight, though I did hand bend the hard part of the line up a little as it is pretty long.

In hindsight (20/20 right?), I would just get braided Stainless Steel lines now if I were you. When I went up to 8", I had some SS lines custom made at a streetrod shop in 5 minutes for $40 for the front 2. I think I paid $35 at Kragens for the YJ lines and had to wait a few days for them to get them in. Now I will probably never need another brakeline again.

Hi TB,
I think that was me that gave you those part numbers. I have RE 4.5" and no problems with length on that setup. However, I did reposition my front lines to gain a bit extra droop.
HTH,
T

Back