• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LCA's Broke

family XJ

NAXJA Forum User
and I haven't even had them offroad yet. These are rustys adjustables. They broke right by the place that the threaded part goes into the collar for the bushing. The actual collar broke across on both sides, where the threaded part is welded on. It is so bad that the bushing fell out. Anyone else have this problem? I just happened to take them off to try and get the front set right and that is what I found. I am taking them to my machine shop to get them fixed/welded and I am also going to give rusty a courtesy call. I am so glad I didn't make my Christmas trip(1200+miles). Just a heads up for anyone that has these things.....Doug

I am going to see if any of my neighbors have a digital camera so I can take pics. I'll post them if I get them.

I would call Rusty before you fix them, if your lucky he will replace them but if you do anything to them before you talk to him, odds are you will void any kind of warrantee at all

There have been pics here before of the same thing.It could be caused by several things.Is it seamless,is it of sufficiant wall thickness,is it a bad batch of steel?

RCP, it could be caused by only ONE thing. RUSTY's.

It's pretty sad how often people break cRusty's bullshiznity parts, TBs, steering, Longarms, skids. The guy skimps on his parts stock & builds everything as cheaply as possible to make himself rich. I doubt he even gives a damn how many of these parts have stranded and damnear killed good XJers out there.

This is in starc comparison to people like ORGSMfg who builds nothing cheaply, all good quality tough parts that will get you to the trail & home.

Let's hear from all the loyal cRusty parts buyers out there, tell this poor guy how good this junk is now!

vintagespeed said:
RCP, it could be caused by only ONE thing. RUSTY's.

It's pretty sad how often people break cRusty's bullshiznity parts, TBs, steering, Longarms, skids. The guy skimps on his parts stock & builds everything as cheaply as possible to make himself rich. I doubt he even gives a damn how many of these parts have stranded and damnear killed good XJers out there.

This is in starc comparison to people like ORGSMfg who builds nothing cheaply, all good quality tough parts that will get you to the trail & home.

Let's hear from all the loyal cRusty parts buyers out there, tell this poor guy how good this junk is now!

werd.gif

The bottom line is you get what you pay for. That's true of most things in life.

You can pay little for your parts, but then just don't expect much. I'd suggest you save a couple extra bones and do it right the first time. Fixing inferior parts on the trail one thing, but putting people's well being in jeopardy is totally another. Why chance it?

I spoke with rusty and he had no problem sending me a new one he just wanted the old one. He pointed somethng out that could possibly have caused them to break and It is very likely it may have been my own fault. However rather than dealing with the mail and waiting I opted to fix it now. He told me if wanted to I could mail it in later and get a new one. I have actually had good luck with his stuff so far. Of course I don't take mt DD into the rocks.

What did he say that could have made it break?

Sad to say, this happened to me 3 times. 2 UCA and 1 LCA frame side bushing broke at the welds. The wellds were just poor welds, cracked right at the weld. Luckily it happened while going slow off road.

I can believe a weld breaking on a LCA, it takes a lot of force. I'm sure some are better than others. I was just wondering what XJfamily was told to make him think it was his fault.

He probably should get a "second opinion" here on the forum ....

Les

He said that he had another sent back but the guy had hit something and forced the arm to go through the bushing housing like mine. My weld was actuall fine it was the bushing housing that broke. I think what might have caused it to break is haveing the arms way out of correct adjustment. The tops were at something like 16 and the bottoms at like 15.25. I think they were being killed by the lack of proper cycling of the suspension. Just my thought. None the less I fixed them and adjusted them and rides way better. Before it was poping and was really hard hitting when I hit a bump and now it rides smooth. I will keep you all informed if they break again. If they do I will definitely send them back.

Back