• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wind modified the jeep tonight.

Synister1

NAXJA Forum User
OPen the door to get out, the wind caught it and pushed it forward. Now I can get it open partially but it's collapsing the fender when I try.

Anybody off the top of their head know what I should look for in the daylight?

I had the same experience on my 87 a few years ago. I'm afraid you are not going to like the answer that I'm going to give you.

The door hinge has probably started to rip away from the A pillar. It will need to be welded back in place and most likely reinforced from the back, which requires removing the front fender. Jeep listed reinforcing plates at one time, but I don't know whether they are still available, and it's really not that hard too fab something up.

I'd also look at the door check because mine ripped out from its mounting holes in the door as well. I don't know what year yours is but that part was redesigned sometime after 87 and the new one seems to mount better than the original that I had.

Synister1 said:
OPen the door to get out, the wind caught it and pushed it forward. Now I can get it open partially but it's collapsing the fender when I try.

Anybody off the top of their head know what I should look for in the daylight?
I had something similar happen to me. All I did was to get a prybar and bend the fender out of the way, and the door works like normal. YMMV

When I was stationed over in Iceland (reason I bought my XJ in the first place) I tied a little ribbon to the top of my antenna. And I always did two things before I turned off the engine looked to see which way the wind was blowing(Wanted the ribbon blowing at me) and turned off my lights(they require the daytime lights). Doesnt do you much good now, just thought Id share this for folks in windy places.

Used a prybar to pulled it back out. Not prefect but close enough.
standard.jpg

I found out why it happened. The stop mechanisim shattered inside the door. found little pieces of metal in the speaker magnet. Went to a u-pull-it and got a replacement.

standard.jpg

The hinge weld is breaking also.
standard.jpg

Back