• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Track Bar Opinions?

cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
Hi All,

I am in need of a new track bar. I am currently running a stock bar with a Rancho 3" lift. I plan on possibly going to 4.5" next year, but that is not a big concern, for now. If you were to buy one today, what would you get? I like the JKS Adjustable, but I have seen a few others that look good. Just curious what you all think. Thanks for your help.

I don't expect to have to 'buy one today' but that's probably because I'm already running the RE "Extra HD" Trackbar and Bracket. Knock on wood - no problems yet....

I second the RE HD bar and bracket.The JKS unit still has the frame pivot point in the wrong "plane".I heard ORGS has one similar to RE's.

The diliema your going to have is the following, typically Manufacturers produce two lengths of Tracbars, 1-3" and 4-6".

Your currently running a 3" lift, possibly going to 4.5". Do wind up buying two over a period of time?

I put on a JKS adjustable (actually built by someone who frequents these here parts) for a 4-6" lift when I was at 3" a couple of years ago. Worked just fine. After I went to 6", all I had to do was spin the lower end out. As far as the upper joint being in the wrong plane, that's an over-rated argument. My front suspension still had enough droop to bottom out the shocks, brakelines (extended stainless) and the front driveshaft within about an inch of each other. The advantage to this bar is that you do use the stock Jeep frame bracket which seems to hold up quite well in comparison to the aftermarkets.

Over the weekend, I pulled it out, and replaced it with http://www.orgsmfg.com's "build it yourself" kit and frame end mount.

Here we go, noses and opinions!

You got a couple choices, Heim end vs Johnny Joint end. Vertical Upper Mount vs. Horizontal Upper Mount.

Joints;

Heim ends are the most common after market upper ends and typically mount vertically through the existing Upper TracBar bracket hole after it is enlarged.

They give pretty good droop and flex, but heims will tend to wear out. They also have metal to metal contact.Unfortunately I haven't been able to find some one that makes a horizontal adapter for a Heim end TracBar, yet!

Johnny Joints are available on the more pricy TracBars from ORGs, JKS, RE and Kevin's. These can be mounted either vertically, or horizontally with a new bracket. Johnny Joints are greaseable and can also be replaced, but probably less frequently then Heims.

If I had a choice, I'd go with the Johnny Joint TracBar with a horizontal mount, especially if you have a lift greater then say 4". Just makes sense looking at the two options that a horizontal Johnny Joint would give you more flex and droop

what do you guy's think of rusty's tracbar?

i havent really heard any opinions about this.

i recently bought the "hd" trac bar with the new upper bracket...

IMO it looks like it's to small (i didnt know this untill it arrived)
but the way i see it; it's surely stronger then stock and i never broke the stock one...

hpi_jeep said:
what do you guy's think of rusty's tracbar?

i havent really heard any opinions about this.

i recently bought the "hd" trac bar with the new upper bracket...

IMO it looks like it's to small (i didnt know this untill it arrived)
but the way i see it; it's surely stronger then stock and i never broke the stock one...

Rusty's products have 2 followings...lovers and haters...and his quality can be hit or miss....

Example....

I have his Fixed CA's....no problems at all with them...

I also have his 4.5" spring packs...after 2 months they sagged 1.5"....he sent me a thick ass AAL to "fix" it....almost 2 years later and those same springs are inverting themselves (AAL and all)

If you want to go with an RE Tracbar, go with the Super Heavy Duty one....I didn't and really wish I did because the Joint has siezed.

I've got the run-of-the-mill RE trackbar that uses a heim. The heim is worn out and pops under throttle... otherwise, no other problems. If I had it to do over, I'd go ahead and spring for the HD unit with the frame bracket.

Back