• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle bind...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
This one's getting me really wierded out...

1989XJ/LTD/4.0/AW4/242/no lift/stock tyres/D35(open)/D30(open)

I know that the front axle can sometimes bind in 4WD, but in 2WD? I can get about 2/3 of full lock when turning either way in 2WD before it starts acting like my 88 in 4HI, but when in 4PT or 4FT there is no adverse behaviour. I haven't had a chance to pick it up and see what's happening, but the tcase seems to be shifting normally, and the 89/242 has no D30Disco, so that's not the problem.

The front DS had been out for about 8 months (I got it out to rebuild it, everything went stupid for a while, and I finally got it done and back in last month,) tested 4WD, and everything was just ducky for about a week. I left it in 4FT (I got in a hurry to get it done so my wife could have every advantage driving in the rain!) and the problem started when she tried to go to 2WD about a week after I got it all together.

Anyhow, this one's had me talking to myself for the last week or so, so I thought I'd see if anyone else had heard of something like this happening. Any ideas?

5-90

Do you think maybe the t-case is causing the bind. I have noticed a tendency for the 242 to stick in part time 4wd when shifting from full time 4wd to 2wd. If your tires are not matched, or you have new tires with old tires, this can also cause the t-case to bind and not allow it to go back to 2wd. Even the same size tire, but different brands can be different heights. I have seen this many times on older XJs and ZJs with the 242. It will happen less the more you shift the t-case as long as your tires are matched front to rear. Try lifting the front wheels off the ground to release any internal bind and recheck it in 2wd.

Bryan

I Had The Same Prob With My 89 Cherokee And Worn Tires In 2wd And People Told Me It Was Most Likely My Alignment. Well After New Tires And An Alignment The Problem Was Solved.

Matthew Currie said:
It happened on mine once when a U-joint rusted and started to bind. Usually they wear out first and get loose, but this time it just went solid.

Same here on my 77 F250, made it steer kinda funny too at times would just decide to bind up a little and do a quick swerve on its own when you were least expecting it. :eyes:
Mike B.

Back