• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2-3" Lift-Clunk

XJTripp

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 that was lifted 2-3 inches before I bought it. After driving it about 2 yrs, it has developed an occasional metallic "clunk" when you either step on the gas or step sharply on the brake. The axle u-joints are good. The clunk sounds like it comes from the driver's side. I noticed a shiny spot on the driver's side spring and the sway bar disconnect is awfully close to the coil. You can't stick an index finger between them. Seems like it must be LCA bushings allowing too much fore and aft axle movement. With the weight on- you can't detect any axle movement. Plan to get it up on a lift. If you can shake the LCA and detect movement-its bad? right? How do you check these?

Have a similar problem with a '98 XJ with 2" OME lift - hoping someone has some good advice

Me too!!!

My 91 has done it since I've owned it both before coil spacers and after. those with lifts I know you need to extend your swaybar links because with the stock ones on the bar will hit the spring under articulation. If you have a 3" lift you need to extend you link about that much. There are a host of sites that have home made extensions. CheapXJ can help there. If that's the only source of your noise extending the links will fix them.
BTW I used 1/2" square tubing and welded the ends to it to make mine. They are UGLY but they work and that's what I need function over form. I'll make them into discos later this summer.
I have a post like this on the OEM forum as mine has been a stock susupension issue also.
HIH
ASATXJ
formerly Teacherstoy

sway bar links

factory swaybar links have a slight bend in them and measure about 3.5" between the base of the top (just under the washer that is below the swaybar itself) and the round portion on the bottom. Sounds funny, hope it makes sense. If you have a lift your extension of the link should match the height of your lift in the front.
HTH

Back