• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drive shaft length?

Jeepin_rebel

NAXJA Forum User
I plan on putting a 4.5 or 5.5 lift on my XJ. Will I have to have my drive shafts lenghtined? Could i get away with using a transfer case drop bracket. If not how large a lift can i use? Does it usualy cost much to have a drive shaft altered?

Spc. Stauffer Camp JC Iraq

Jeepin_rebel said:
I plan on putting a 4.5 or 5.5 lift on my XJ. Will I have to have my drive shafts lenghtined? Could i get away with using a transfer case drop bracket. If not how large a lift can i use? Does it usualy cost much to have a drive shaft altered?

Spc. Stauffer Camp JC Iraq

Well to be honest, at 4.5+ you really should have an SYE. A T-case drop will help but your giving up some of the clearance you lost. You have to worry about driveshaft angles as well as drive shaft length. I wouldn't recommend going much beyond 3" with the stock rear shaft. The front shaft should be ok for the lift heights your talking about. To get the proper shaft length, you'll have to get under there and take some measurements.

Thanks for the input. I ll have to get my buddy to take the measurements. Im currently over seas at the moment. Should any good off road shop be able to make the adjustments to my drive shaft? (my wife is having the work done)

Couple choices.

Eventually you'll have to go to a RE Hack & Tap with a new Drive Shaft or a SYE and a new Drive Shaft.

Currently, after doing my RE6130 4.5" lift on my '96 Cherokee, I just went with 4* Shims & a Transfer Case drop. I have minimal vibrations, but will be going to a Hack & Tap before I do any serious offroading or flexing.

Hack & Taps from what I hear on multiple forums, are fine for the types of off roading most of us do. Just remember with the H&T you simply shorten a stock tailshaft, where a conversion kit provides you with a new larger diameter tail shaft.

Difference in price, Hack & Tap '95 and under ~$180.00 + Driveshaft @ ~$250.00. Hack & Tap '96 and newer~$80.00 + driveshaft @ ~$250.00

SYE, anywhere from $275.00 - $350.00 + Driveshaft @ ~$250.00

Jeepin_rebel said:
ok what exactly is a hack and tap?
A hack n' tap is a flange that bolts onto the now shortened (after cutting) output shaft on the TC that allows for the bolting up a double cardan drive-shaft making vibrations less likely to occur. Note: shims may still be needed for correct pinion angles and absolutly no vibs. Check out DPGoffroad.com under the tech section for a great how-to article.

You can buy a HD sye all day long for $260 and never worry again about vibes or angles or breaking!I spent way more money on drill bits and taps, and it took 2 days to do!The HD unit took 2 hours to install!

The 1800 series Cut and tap kits from RE are SYE's. They work dandy. The HD units work great as well and they have a thicker tailshaft.

Most folks who sell the 1800 series from RE also sell the AA HD kits.

RJ

Thx alot everyone ill have to look into the hack n tap and the sye. Im open to more input.

Spc Stauffer Camp JC Iraq

I have a 1999 XJ with 3" of lift and a JB conversions 231HD. I installed a
x-fer case drop bracket from skyjacker. It worked okay, but I took it out later do to ground clearance and I could never get it to shift into 4wd right (always adjusting the linkage). I put in a CV driveshaft in the rear also. You have to use a slip yoke eliminator or do what I did and put in a x-fer case with a slip yoke eliminator already installed if you want to lift it that high, and if you do that it will require a longer driveshaft.

Back