• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front D30 locker questions

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK... so here's the scoop: I want one, but I don't know which one :D The big question/dilemma that I'm facing is the selectable vs lunchbox. Who has what and how you like it... and how are the "turns" (this especially is geared towards the lunchbox lockers)

With all my research and questions on the board. I have decided to go with a selectable locker.

Most of the wheeling that I do, Rock Trails, a lunchbox locker would cause too much steering bind. I already have issues with my meager OEM steering links, which will be beefed up soon, the stress of a front locker selectable or automatic I'm sure will cause even more stress.

With a selectable locker you can then unlock to get through tighter areas. I witnessed this when I tried to spot a friend in a tight spot on Ershim with an automatic locker. It was hard to figure out which direction his jeep was going.

Anyway, for the meantime, I'm thinking that I'll be saving for a good front winch. I really don't want to sink any dough into the D30 I have, and I want to keep my rig reasonably reliable.

I found that my rear locker gets me just about anywhere I want to go right now. Yea every now and then I have to stack a rock and I can only recall one time needing to use my Highlift jack.

Just remeber there is more to wheeling than just traction, reliability is a big key to having a good time on the trail.

hmmm, you raise a good point... and provide me with another dilemma (gee thanks).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way I look at this, it is the issue of the prevention/fix. With the locker I prevent most situations where I would need a winch while with the winch and no front locker, I am more likely to get stuck and use it.

Kejtar said:
With the locker I prevent most situations where I would need a winch while with the winch and no front locker, I am more likely to get stuck and use it.

Kej, it's not quite that simple. With the front locker you'll have a more capable vehicle. Having a more capable vehicle, you'll find yourself on more difficult terrain. On more difficult terrain you'll still need the winch. One doesn't make the other obsolete, just raises the playing field. It's a vicious cycle. :)

XJZ said:
Kej, it's not quite that simple. With the front locker you'll have a more capable vehicle. Having a more capable vehicle, you'll find yourself on more difficult terrain. On more difficult terrain you'll still need the winch. One doesn't make the other obsolete, just raises the playing field. It's a vicious cycle. :)

I realize that... but.... given the choice, what is more practical first? It's all a loaded topic/question.... but then again, what about our jeeps is simple ?

well, depends on a few things. Such as, where you wheel, and if you go it alone, or always in a group. If you are always in a group, and seldom around obstacles which to winch from, it is easy-Get the locker.

If you usually wheel alone, and you often have obstacles to winch from, it is again easy-Get the winch.

Now, if you are like most, and have a combination of the two above, then you have to make a decision. Which is more important to you, making it through a few more obstacles without help, or usually being able to get yourself out of a situation.

I can't remember, but since you are talking about locking the front, I assume you have the rear locked. If this is the case, then I would get the winch, as the front locker will help you get a few more places, but it won't drag you near as many places as a winch.
Ask What Rd. The two of us have similar set ups, except that I am locked in the front and he is not. He seldom doesn't make it through places that I do. He often has more trouble with obstacles, but is usually able to pull through. If not, he has his winch to help out.

Just some ramblings-HTH

They're both useful, buy whichever you prefer first. Lockers are cheaper (except ARB maybe). I swore up and down I was going to do a lunchbox and then sell it and the D30 eventually for a better axle. After my nightmare wait and lack of contact from Aussie Locker, I canceled that and just had a Detroit put in because of time issues. Difference was $200 over a lunchbox. I love the Detroit and steering hasn't been a big deal on the trails so far (locked front only, not rear). I still kick myself because now I'm polishing a turd and will continue to do so because it will probably serve my needs. I'm just about to step to 33's and will probably stay there for a long time. If I were doing it over again, I'd buy a junkyard HP 44 from a Ford and find a local place and have them set it all up and then just pay them whatever it cost. So far I've spent a total of $1300 ($450 Detroit, $450 gears, $400 297x shafts & joints) on my D30, and that would go a long way toward having somebody setup a 44 for you.

If you're usually wheelin' with a group, get the locker. Even if others in the group don't have a winch, a strap will most likely do the trick or even your hi-lift,etc. You shouldn't be doing anything but backroads alone anyhow. Get the locker.

Like TRL WGN said -
it really comes down to which will make you more comfortable given the situation you usually wheel in. I went with the rear locker first (easy call), then the winch (because I'm crazy enough to go wheeling by myself, and yes, I do in fact know better) and am now working on getting an ARB and 4.88s in the front. The call is a close one. If I weren't in my particular situation (wheelchair user who can't always just easily hike out of a stuck situation), I'd have probably gone with the locker before the winch. I don't use my winch every trip (like yesterday when I used it on TRL WGN!) (ok, ok, his girlfriend strapped me out once too!), but I would use a front locker every trip.
Enjoy!

Well my decisions are based on more than what I want, I also have to look at what I can afford. I would seem to me that you will probably end up with both eventually, so I say just buy what you can afford and save up for the other

I'm pretty happy with my Lock-Right. It does make it tough to turn in 4wd, but I've gotten in the habit of shifting out of 4wd whenever possible to relieve strain on the drivetrain as much as posssible. An XJ with a rear locker and decent articulation will go a lot of places just fine in 2wd. Of course a selectable locker would be nice, but I personally did not want to sink that kind of money in an axle that I intend to replace. The lunchbox lockers can usually be installed without messing with the gears, so you could do it yourself for about $250-300 total.

John's got a great point. I have a LSD in the front (Torsen-Gleason) but also have a 2-Low kit in the t-case. The 2-Low really came in handy on the slickrock of Moab and here in AZ. Need a tight turn? Shift to 2-Low and still have the low range to control speed and decent.
Remi, you might consider the Truetrac. It's a LS, but on rocks it thinks it's a locker. Handlebars run them in both axles and gets anywhere the locked guys do. I'm sure driver ability has alot to do with that, (Alex can DRIVE!) but it's still an impressive set-up to watch.

I just got my aussie locker installed. It works great. not to bad in corners. very little noise. inexpensive. prices are going up though. They are having some trouble with the d35 locker. still on back order. This is my first locker. and I love it. I got the locker first because It is less money. I am now looking into a winch.

Love my lock rite. even more now that I have replaced the vacuum disco in the right side with a cable set up. (homebrew) can turn sharp when needed and don't have to take it out of 4 wheel. just push the cable it. I wheel alone allot. (but then again I'm in western Kansas. and the only place to wheel close to home is the dry river bed. and that's never more that a half mile away from the hi-way, and always in cell phone range.)(opps I started rambling) what I ment to say was that my High lift has been used more on it's side as a winch than to lift my Jeep. I wouldn't try to pull myself over some thing, just back myself off of where I shouldn't have been.

.02 Daryl

I should say I've only walked out once. broken, no spare part.

Last edited:
Wow - I thought I had a short attention span...

[soapbox]
C'mon, guys - Kejtar is questioning lunchbox vs selectable for the D30. It was Chuck D that said he's going to spring for a winch before putting any more into the 30... :twak:
[/soapbox]

I'm running a stock trac-loc out back, and stuck a Tera 2-Low kit in the x-fer case a couple of weeks before installing a lunchbox locker in the D30. You'll spend less than the price of most full-case units (far less than selectable) and get the 2-low as a bonus. Depending on the terrain you wheel on, with that no-slip out back you'll probably find that you rarely need to run in 4-low.

If the EZ-locker ever fails, then I'll probably replace it with a full-case unit, but I feel I've already gotten my money's-worth out of it anyway, and I'll still have the 2-low.

Happy shopping!

Bill
-----------------
:bs:

midwestjeepthing.com
sija.org

Last edited:
Well I just ment to say that with the cable system and a lunch box you have a "selectable" locker and with a high lift and a couple good straps/chains you have a winch. neither of which cost too much. But also neither of which is as good as the full price versions.

Back