• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moving 00 XJ seat back for more legroom?

jstgerma

NAXJA Forum User
I recently bought a 00 XJ Freedom 4dr, and when I took it to Vegas last weekend I realized that there's really not enough legroom for long trips. I'm 6'5" and my knees started to hurt a couple hours in. My question is what would be the best way to move the seat back about three or four inches? From the look of the way the brackets mount to the body I couldn't just drill new holes farther back.

I'm 6'2" and have the same problem... I was thinking of getting cruize control installed so I can move my legs on long trips... Doesn't look like there is anything feasible to move the seats back.

There are four bolts that hold it down.
The two that are closer to the middle of the vehicle are just inside of the frame rail.
I think that the best way to do this would be to spot-weld on some 2"x2" plates (for reinforcement) about 3" behind the current holes.
You could then drill them out and install the new bolts.
Make sure that you use a sealant on the bolts so that moisture doesn't get inside.
Fill in the old bolt holes.

I thought of another way to do it that would not involve drilling new holes in the floor.
It may not look pretty, but you could remove the chair and weld on a plate to each of the four legs that is about 5"X1". They would stick out the front of each leg.
You could drill holes in those instead of the floor.

EMTJeepers said:
I'm 6'2" and have the same problem... I was thinking of getting cruize control installed so I can move my legs on long trips... Doesn't look like there is anything feasible to move the seats back.

I've read a few places that installing cruise control can cause acceleration and braking problems. That is regardless of if it is OEM or not. Might not be accurate, but if it is, it could save your life. I would love to have cruise control on mine, but after reading that, I decided not to go that route.

I'm not clear on how installing cruise can cause acceleration or braking problems, or is that supposed to be just post-factory installs? My 96 has cruise from the factory, and although I had some problems initially with it not holding speed that was traced to a bad Vehicle Speed Sensor.

I'm 6'4" and it almost sounds like there's less room in the 97+ front seat? I fit fine in my 96 although I miss the 'tilt' feature from my 89 front seats.

I'm 6'4" and I to have legroom problems on long trips, the big boy bracket seems to be worth $40.

i would think the big boys are just some bar stock with a few hole you un bolt the seat and bolt the bar in betwen the seat and floor frame . i put a nut between the seat andframe lifted the front of the seat about 1/4 inch and made a big diferance

Yucca-Man said:
I'm not clear on how installing cruise can cause acceleration or braking problems, or is that supposed to be just post-factory installs? My 96 has cruise from the factory, and although I had some problems initially with it not holding speed that was traced to a bad Vehicle Speed Sensor.

I'm 6'4" and it almost sounds like there's less room in the 97+ front seat? I fit fine in my 96 although I miss the 'tilt' feature from my 89 front seats.

Yes, that is JUST post-factory installs.

The pre 98 definately have more leg room than the later models. When I get in my wifes I don't even have to put the seat back all the way and I'm sitting just fine.

Last edited:
I recieved the big boy brackets the other day, and tried to install them on my 1994, and they wouldnt fit. Good idea though. The guy was real nice and I had no problems. Just thought I would let you know before you bought them. Later.

Keep in mind that the XJ seat mounts changed in 95. That means the Big Boy bracket will only fit XJ's 95-01.

evilpresence said:
I've read a few places that installing cruise control can cause acceleration and braking problems. That is regardless of if it is OEM or not. Might not be accurate, but if it is, it could save your life. I would love to have cruise control on mine, but after reading that, I decided not to go that route.
My wifes 00 TJ had Cruise installed (factory setup, at the stealership). Never had a problem with it.

Back