• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

REAR swaybar disconnects

Fergie

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about this the other day. Has anyone tried it? It seems that this would be safer than running without one, and you could still get better articulation. Problem is, where to make the disco point, and how to do it correctly(read SAFELY).

Fergie

hmm.... mine came without a rear swaybar from factory..... and believe me.. I take turns hard and fast... In any case, I don't think that the rear one will do anything for you, but it's the front one that is needed :)

Kejtar

I ran with and with out swaybar after my lift. You shouldn't need it with new aftermarket leaves, i.e. RE or big offroad.

The front swaybar is the important one, you'll never hear me telling you to ditch that.

The rear one is optional, from what I understand it only does any good when towing. I removed mine when I lifted my '89 3" becuase it was promoting unsafeness (going around a corner kinda quick it would pull the inside rear wheel off the ground a lot sooner than it does without the rear bar).

I agree, since I took mine off, it's much harder to oversteer. before it would lose traction a little in turns. (read: kick sideways)

There are discos, I've seen a pair at a Jeep event, but I'm not sure who makes them. I think someone on here once posted pics of one they made, making them would probably be the best route. If you ever tow anything heavy, it would probably be worth it, but without a trailor, I think it handles better than before.

The front one on the other hand, is a little bit more important....

90% of the XJ's here have taken their Rear sway out, what does that tell you? :D

Dont even spend 2 dollars on disconnects for it.

I do plan to tow trailers. One a medium sized moving trailer and the other just hauls my quad. With those kind of towing loads, I should be fine, right?

Fergie

Actually even DC removes the rear track bar for the Up Country (1-2"in lift) option. I've never heard of any one complaining about issues towing without one, but why not try towing with and without it? It's soooo easy to remove, it should only take 10 or 15 min.

Fergie said:
I do plan to tow trailers. One a medium sized moving trailer and the other just hauls my quad. With those kind of towing loads, I should be fine, right?

Fergie

My father-in-law is like the most accident prone guy on earth and he had no problems towing a 26ft Bayliner with his Country. Getting the boat onto the trailer...that's another story.

Back